RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 2000 Bosch 4.0. New radiator, replaced coolant, burped carefully. No signs of overheating as far as I can tell. The gauge is at the middle, slightly towards the cold. All of a sudden the gauge goes all the way to the left (cold). Keep driving, all of a sudden the needle moves, quickly into the middle position.

I am suspecting an electrical issue (bad connection, bad ground) or a bad sensor. Where should I start? Is the sensor accessible without removing the intake?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi,
Any error code?
I think if it is a faulty sensor or wiring issue "before" the sensor, there is an error code showing up (p0117 / p0118).
Edit: can you read the temperature from an Autologic, Nanocom or any other equipment? This could help narrowing the issue to the sensor side or to the gauge side.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll read the coolant temp via OBD II. I remember that the coolant temp was flaky last time I did an OBDII read on it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Maybe the sensor, then.
You don't have to remove the intake. Removing the a/c pump or the alternator could help, though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A 2000 Bosch 4.0. New radiator, replaced coolant, burped carefully. No signs of overheating as far as I can tell. The gauge is at the middle, slightly towards the cold. All of a sudden the gauge goes all the way to the left (cold). Keep driving, all of a sudden the needle moves, quickly into the middle position.
what happens if you overcharge your car ac? Getting the answer by visiting Autoguysland site.
I am suspecting an electrical issue (bad connection, bad ground) or a bad sensor. Where should I start? Is the sensor accessible without removing the intake?
I would check the the thermostat first. This sometimes is caused by stuck open thermostat, or a thermostat that was replaced incorrectly.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll check the temp with ir gauge. It feels like an electrical problem, because I drive for a while and it shows "cold", then all of a sudden jumps in the middle in an instant. It feels like a loose wire or ground somewhere. But then, could it be sticky thermostat that moves when I go over a bump?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'll check the temp with ir gauge. It feels like an electrical problem, because I drive for a while and it shows "cold", then all of a sudden jumps in the middle in an instant. It feels like a loose wire or ground somewhere. But then, could it be sticky thermostat that moves when I go over a bump?
I don't think so.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
A bad connection will cause a low reading, so that's the first thing to look for. The gauge reading is electronically stabilised, so there's no way a bad thermostat or other coolant problem could cause it to jump. But an open contact will give a default reading of -40°C.

Filip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts