RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After running the Rover, I can smell the very distinct odor of coolant outside the truck near the driver side engine compartment, with the hood closed. I checked coolant levels and it appears normal, the temp is fine, and I just drove it from Maryland to Orlando, FL and back with no overheating issues. There doesn't appear to be any leaks at all. Now, it has been a very hot summer here in Maryland, and I'm sure the A/C is working overtime, but for the life of me, I can't figure out where this coolant smell is coming from. Any ideas?

2007 Supercharged.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Check your coolant expansion tank carefully. They are problematic; with very fine cracks opening up when the engine is hot. There will be a fine mist spraying out possibly giving the smell of coolant. Look for any white powdery residue or streaks around and underneath the tank.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
custard pie feet said:
Check your coolant expansion tank carefully. They are problematic; with very fine cracks opening up when the engine is hot. There will be a fine mist spraying out possibly giving the smell of coolant. Look for any white powdery residue or streaks around and underneath the tank.

Checked and all looks nice and tidy inside the engine compartment. I found no leaks, cracks or stains anywhere near the expansion tank. Oh well, next time it's in the dealer for scheduled maintenance, I'll have them take a look.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
If you are smelling coolant there must be a leak someplace. Check all the hoses/connections etc. It may be very tiny and hard to find but it is probably better to find out before it gets worse.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
linuxfreakus said:
If you are smelling coolant there must be a leak someplace. Check all the hoses/connections etc. It may be very tiny and hard to find but it is probably better to find out before it gets worse.
I would think so too. But after the 1600 mile drive from Houston to Maryland, then our trip from Maryland to Orlando, Fl then back to Maryland, the **** thing hasn't lost a drop of coolant. Temp guage stays where it's suppose to as well.

I hate to think I'm imagining things, but I'd also like to think I know what coolant smells like.

It's under warranty, so next time I take it in, I'll have them give it a good once over.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi...I have the same exact issue with smelling the coolant....what was the outcome of the trip to the dealer??

D

·
0 Posts
Yea, we have the same thing on our 08. We have looked every where and have found nothing. One place I have not checked yet is the oil. I'll have to have a look there today.

·
Registered
116 Posts
On my 06 I have the same thing.It just smells like coolant but I'm not loosing any either and it's been this way for a long time. Go figure?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I took off the plastic cover on the top of the engine...I inspected every hose, clamp, etc....nothing...
I have know idea....Besides no leaks in the engine compartment or under the vehicle, the coolant level doesn't go down, and the oil is clean, no white smoke...since a lot of other people are having the same problem, and they can't find anything either, hopefully it's not an issue.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sportin said:
Hi...I have the same exact issue with smelling the coolant....what was the outcome of the trip to the dealer??

Got your email.

The dealer stated that they could find no coolant leak, and neither could I. The truck has never lost a drop of coolant, but the smell is certainly there. I will say that I don't smell it, since the end of summer. Maybe something to do with the A/C system working overtime? No clue.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Not sure about the jag engine, but on the bmw there is also a drain plug for the coolant in the engine block. Perhaps that plug is/was barely seeping and immediately vaporizing on the hot surface (thus a smell with no noticeable loss in coolant)? If so a new sealing washer may fix that, although it is probably not likely to suffer a catastrophic failure if it is properly torqued.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sure enough, there is a leak! The tech finally saw an orange liquid (coolant) on the engine facing side of the radiator, towards the very bottom of it. A very minor leak, but a leak nonetheless. With the engine running, and fan blowing clockwise, that's the reason I was always able to smell it in the driver's side front fender well.

·
Registered
646 Posts
BenzORama said:
Sure enough, there is a leak! The tech finally saw an orange liquid (coolant) on the engine facing side of the radiator, towards the very bottom of it. A very minor leak, but a leak nonetheless. With the engine running, and fan blowing clockwise, that's the reason I was always able to smell it in the driver's side front fender well.
These radiator seem to made out of very thin metal it is a common replacement item.

·
Registered
115 Posts
This post seemed the most similar to the issue I'm having. There are no leaks on the garage floor, and there are no puddles in the plastic skid plates. I don't have a low coolant message. I smell the coolant on the outside of the vehicle. I think I smelled it through the side vents. When I open the hood I smell the odor.

I spent some time under the hood looking at hoses around the engine like linuxfreakus suggested. There might be a small leak that is vaporizing when it contacts the engine.

Anyway, I finally spotted a puddle of coolant on top of the engine. See the picture below.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
The coolant system is pressurized and self-bleeding. Probably air bleeding out the system resulting in this smell.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Cooling systems are closed...You should never have a leak. They do not "Self-Bleed"....But thanks for the laugh.

Justin with the 5.0 I would stop driving it before you find the leak. Any overheat to the 5.0 is detrimental.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I pulled off my air intake to get a better look. Here is a picture. I have yet to see a low coolant warning on the dash, but it does appear my coolant is slowly receding in the expansion tank. I'm guessing the leak rate is less than the burn off from the engine heat, because I don't have coolant dripping to the garage floor.

I've ordered a new crossover pipe. When I pulled out the old crossover pipe the lip broke (see picture). Hopefully, it was brittle with cracks and was the culprit prior to my removal. I'll know for sure when I install the new one. The o-rings looked good. The only other issue could be the connection between the pump and the cooler.

I'll provide an update once the crossover pipe is replaced.

Coolant Leak 2.jpg Crossover Pipe.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts