RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been chasing this one coolant leak for some time now and I just can't figure out what it is. The coolant leak is relatively bad with having me fill the expansion tank once every morning or even more often. I first replaced the coolant tank and still the issue. Then about a week ago I did the coolant gallery including all the pipes in the back of the engine. And after all that it is still leaking. I took a camera and checked around the engine and everything by the gallery looks dry. I have read about that on the m62 the alternator is water cooled, and that the gasket on those sometimes seems to fail, and am wondering if anyone else had this issue, before I should tackle this.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Dont throw parts at it. Go to an autostore and rent or buy a cooling/radiator pressure tester kit. Remove the expansion tank cap and plug the kit to it. Carefully pressure it and go around the engine looking for the leak. If a leak exists, you will see it. Some people use dye in the coolant for easy diagnostic.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I will guess that you have a BMW engine d truck is this correct?

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
Please review the guidelines again and put your Rover year and model in your signature

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Ok you said that you replaced the valley pan gasket plate is this correct?> the valley pans are known for their leaking,
make sure you fit a new pan and that the block surface is clean before its installed.
Hint the valley pan leak can be verified if you see coolant rolling down the trans bell housing then dripping off the bottom of the trans.
you can further confirm this by carefully looking at the mating area of the intake manifold to the block ,
if you see small puddles of liquid then the valley pan is leaking you will need a bright flashlight to see this.

Also on the back of the your M62 engine there is a water bridge , the water pump tubes go into this part with o ring seals

this is attached to the back of each head with 3 bolts and a gasket, the gaskets will leak.
this is easy to confirm with a flashlight and an inspection mirror.

Then their is a short hose that attaches to the water bridge to the fire wall this hose is a known leaking point
Use Dow Corning 111 on the O rings of every hose fitting it will keep them soft .

Also look at the radiator along the tank sides look for white crusty deposits this indicates a leaking radiator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts