RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I have a coolant leak in possibly two areas you can see in the photo top and bottom of two different hoses. I thought I might try to change these hoses myself. Any idea if this is just a matter of changing the hoses or is there something else I might need to do. The coolant leak is slow. I drove over 250 miles the other day with no problems. I did fill the coolant reservoir a little higher then the high point line, could I have overfilled the coolant and now it is leaking out of that area?

Attachments

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
may not be the hoses as that is yoru throttle body heater/cooler plate. The gasgets like to drip and then let loose. FOr a test you can join the two hoses to bypass the heater plate and see if your leak stops.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any instructions on how to do the bypass? By doing the bypass to test what functions are lost by doing it? Can I just leave it bypassed after doing the bypass you recommend?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Funny, I've had the same kinda leak and just replaced the throttle body heater right now, literally.

I'm w/ rrtoadhall, that most likely, it's the throttle body heater gasket going bad. I had a slow leak, not really able to tell where the leak was until the leak got bigger recently. Anyway, the leak stopped after the throttle body heater was replaced.

Instructions are all in the RAVE. So, no worries there. Really easy to do. You gotta take off whole bunch of hoses in the process, but not hard at all. Took probably less than an hour.

I'm gonna hijack this thread a bit, but when I replaced my throttle body, it was a URO brand one w/ rubber gasket. The OEM ones have metal gaskets. Which is better?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is everybody using to bypass and connect the to female hoses together with?

Will zip ties work after I figure out how to best connect the two female hoses to?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last question, with the RR off. Will there be a lot of coolant that will spill out of the hoses when I take the hoses off of the throttle body heater plate? Advice what to do when taking these hoses off?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I would drain some fluid from the rad using rad drain and then use at least hose clamps as used for pressurized fuel line. With zip ties you wont be able to squeeze the hose tight enough to a short pce. of copper tube or equivalent. With the clamps you should not need a bump that the hose would push over. Many discussions on here of this issue. Not sure what search would turn up but it should arm you a little better for the task ahead.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, great idea. I will go to Home Depot tomorrow to get a pair of vice grips and use them to pinch the tubing while I do the connection. Just have to figure out the size of copper tubing to join the two females hoses together with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts