RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things do happen in threes... like a network failure at work, a power outage at home involving a blown transformer (apparently our house has its own), and the leak is back! This leak happened about a year ago and just disappeared... Now its back and I fear its going to stay until I do something about it. Its leaking down the left side of the bell housing and it kind off looks like its leaking either from the left head gasket or the small hose under the intake chamber over the valley pan gasket. There isn't a puddle on the valley pan gasket, so I fear it is the head gasket :pray: . Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Looks like your RR and my RR share a lot in common. I remember your posts about the ABS pump-I had my ABS pump rebuild last month.

I've also had a bit of a coolant leak for awhile, and the main one I've discovered was the expansion tank itself and the hose from throttle body. The tube was brittle and was leaking in very tiny geyser like fashion at connection point.

The second leak that I've found was a bit harder to detect, as for a long time, the leak was so small, it didn't leave a sufficient amount of trail. Recently, however, by luck(perhaps not), the leak has gotten slightly bigger and I have been able to observe that the leak is occuring at one of the tube that connects to the throttle body heater. It's amazing how the liquid travels, but when I go under the car, I can also detect trails of orange goo around the bell housing as well.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Theor. I'm almost positive its not the expansion tank but I'll take another look. I'm thinking and hoping it is the throttle body heater. I do have one question, does the GEMS rover have a throttle body heater? I thought it was just on the BOSCH ones. Or am I thinking about something else like the forced air injection...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Expansion tank itself is probably a long shot, but the tubes going to the expansion tank could be the culprit. These plastic tubes become very fragile, and if you bend them the wrong way, they easily crack.

On your model, RR don't call the throttle body heater by the same name but call it a water jacket chamber or something. I assume the function is the same though.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I did locate the throttle body heater today and was surprised and happy to find it was not bypassed. So there is a possibility that its the culprit and not the head gaskets like I fear. Get this though, once again the **** leak disappeared... I pulled it out of the garage when I got home from work and let it run and drove it around a bit and could not get it to leak! lol gotta love these trucks :roll: .

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hopefully, it's the throttle body heater gasket or the 2 tube connections that's leaking, since it's such an easy fix.

My RRs been doing the same thing of leaking for a while then don't leak for a while, for perhaps 6 months now. Finally, I'm starting to get a clearer indication that it is indeed the throttle body heater gasket that's leaking due to a more defined trail of orange goo. For a long time though, it was almost impossible to pinpoint the source of the leak.

Telltale sign to determine if your throttle body heater is leaking is to look for an orange color (assuming you use OAT) smear along the gasket. If you see any orange, then the gasket is probably going bad.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did thoroughly inspect the heater and could not find any signs of leakage. I pulled the spark plug of the suspected area and could not find anything wrong. Weird... I'll just keep my eyes open. Thanks TheoR! One other thing, it leaked like this a year ago around the same time and then stopped :? lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts