RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have developed a serious coolant leak and it appears to be coming from under the manifold on top of the engine. The coolant pools there and eventually runs down and around the transmission onto the ground. Any ideas where to start on figuring this out? I have a '98 4.6L HSE with 108,000 miles.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If your lucky it could be the thottle body heater plate or the hose to the throttle body from the intake manifold, or possibly the top hose or the heater hose. Or your could be unlucky I was, I had coolant leaking from all over, the head gaskets in the front and something to the back, either rear head gasket or intake gasket, to be honest I could only see the right front leak with my eyes, the coolant dripping off the bell housing (like yours) could have come from anywhere. Even with the engine apart I couldnt really trace the leak. However, with all new upper gaskets fitted there are no leaks, well for now at least. Seeing as your Gems intake comes out in one shot I'd take that off and look for traces of coolant, I do think it is possible that the head gasket can leak upwards and onto the valley gasket, so I'd be looking at that as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a coolant leak under the left hand exhaust manifold (as viewed forward by the driver) which dripped on to the front diff and then on to the ground. Here is the link to the photos I posted to the forum so you can see if its what you have.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31796

I cured mine in the short term with Barrs Leak but it was from the head gasket. I now have my engine out with slipped liners so this water leak now seems like a minor irritant!!

Hope this helps

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
Once you have the heads off you can see the graduated top of the liner. THe liner is inserted and the the head surface of the block is planed to ensure a perfectly smooth surface. When a liner has slipped you can usually see a space where the liner has dropped below the head surface on the block. Somewhere I think there are pics of Ron's slipped liner. They might be on the home page. A slipped liner can only be confirmed by removing the heads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts