RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I was loosing some fluid and put the car on our lift. It's frustrating because I can see the leak but can't figure out where it is coming from. I have a 2006 Range Rover Sport. The leak is coming from nipple just above the middle of the transmission. It leaks down on the the exhaust. It must be from some sort of transmission cooling line. I know this because when I check the transmission plug the transmission doesn't drain any coolant. Does anyone know where this leak may be coming from and how to get to it? I assume it's a hose anyway!.

Thanks!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Kind of strange . In most vehicles I have seen, the tranny fluid is sent to the rad to be cooled, not the other way around. Sounds like you should be looking higher to see if it is dripping or channeling down from above.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From where from above? The would be like the cab of the vehicle... Looks like it would be center console of the vehicle. Also, the leak is higher than the transmission. I can put it back on the lift today! Any ideas as to where some common leaks would be could be helpful. I really appreciate it! Otherwise I will have to take it in to the stealership tomorrow.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,671 Posts
There is no coolant anywhere near the transmission. If you see coolant near the transmission it is leaking from else where and trailing to the transmission and coming down there.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
790 Posts
Heater core, or the connections to it allowing a dribble down the firewall, on the top of the transmission tunnel, and then down on the transmission, and - eventually - the exhaust.

Do you have a smell that comes through the vents when you first start getting heat through your vents?

I have such a smell - it smells different than I thought burning/hot coolant would smell - and I've been plagued with it for months, without finding the source.

I wonder if I have the same thing that you do, but never noticed a leak in the area you're looking. Keep us posted on what the mechanic finds, would you?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I don't know what would be leaking that high. I can check again. I was just told to pull the rubber cap on the bottom of the transmission. I was told that if no fluid came out then that meant that the cooling line to the tranny was busted somewhere. They said it was on the back of the motor, lift hood all the way back and then remove cabin filter. I could not even find the cabin filter where they said it was. Theirs was an 05, so I assuming it's not the same on an 06. This one has me totally stumped. I'm not an idiot, I DIY on lots of stuff with it. Changed the waterpump, exhaust, suspension, and lot's of other stuff. I am just at my whits end. I am going back to the lift and bringing some bright flashlights and check everything one more time before shelling out the cash. If anyone has any other suggestion please post. I'll check this post off and on!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,671 Posts
I am not sure who is telling you things, but they obviously have no clue about how the transmission fluid circulates. If you had a hole anywhere in the circulation system you would have no fluid in your transmission and your Range would not move. It is a closed system that circulates the fluid. You can download the service manual and see how and where the tranny fluid circulates and how nad where the coolant circulates.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, sounds like a asked a stupid question I am asking then. May I ask one more thing RR Toad Hall. I just don't want to blow my transmission. I pulled out a small plug on the bottom of the transmission. It is rubber, round and about 2" in circumference. When A pulled off the cover no fluid came out. Is this normal? Or should fluid have come out? Hopefully this isn't a silly question as well. If it's meant to be dry that would eaze my mind a bit!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I appreciate your heading does say Coolant but is the leak actually coolant, engine oil, transmission oil or water. If it is coolant and is back on the gearbox then it can come from only one of two places - the heater coolant pipes or a leaking head gasket at the rear of the engine (unlikely).

Not sure what this rubber bung is but if it was the sump plug for the gearbox you would some oil out of there even if it was drained and you car would not drive. The cabin filter is inside the cabin not the engine bay - on a RHD car in front of the glove box - not sure on a LHD.

Sorry but I have to ask - is the fluid leaking actually water from the A/C drain??

Garry

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess it could be an A/C drain. However, I have never seen that much fluid coming out of an A/C drain. It's pouring out of there. It's not transmission fluid. Maybe my radiator leak is coming from somewhere else.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,671 Posts
There is a big difference between water from your evap drains and coolant. Water is clear, coolant is not. Coolant has a slimy, slick feel to it.

As far as the inspection plug you removed it has nothing to do with fluid levels. I would suggest distancing yourself from the person feeding you misinformation before you damage something. :lol:

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you had a large coolant leak - the coolant level should be low in the expansion bottle ....

Try driving the car with the ac off
For a few miles - do
You
Still see the leak ? If
Not my guess is the Evap hose is dumping water somewhere and this is what you are seeing ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same issue ..2011 sport luxury I haven't fully investigated but got all the plates off and can see it drip in 2 spots symmetrically distanced from side to side from the black plastic under the tranny and there is zero percent doubt its coolant is green and slimy and it smells sweet...im going to shove paper towels on top of the tranny because if it gets wet there's no question and should more or less tell me the direction it comes from....plus it definitely doesn't leak
until the thermostat opens

.. I just bought this off my friend and she showed me the estimate it said water pump and basically all the hoses and some suspension part upfront and they wanted almost 7k...they're outrageous

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
RRiscool
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing