RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
On my m51 2.5td engine I have a bad coolant leak from the top hose to cylinder head.
Upon checking this, the leak is from the alloy tube that is press fit in to the cylinder head, it was that corroded that I was able to wiggle it out from cylinder head.

I contacted a Land rover dealership, only to be told that this part is not available separately, and I would have to buy a new cylinder head !

The tube is split/corroded along most of it's length, so is not repairable.

Any ideas where I can obtain one ?

Thanks,
Paul.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,422 Posts
Sadly, dealers are useless when it comes to fixing things like this.
Possibly you could find a fitter / turner to make one for you to spec?
Then using a bit of liquid steel type product (to be doubly sure) , press it back in.
Alternatively, remove the head and bring it to the fitter and have him make one and press it in.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I’m sure there’s a way of putting a fitting into the hole, does it have to be metal all the way, could it not be changed to rubber once an appropriate fitting is found.
going to have a look at my neighbours dse to see what pipe your talking about

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have heard of other owners having problems with the pipe leaking but it is not a common problem. It shows the importance of having fresh coolant with corrosion inhibitors in it.
As I understand it, the pipe is either cast into the head or pressed in at the BMW factory during the manufacturing process. I am fairly certain it is not screwed in.
It should be possible to have it drilled out at a machine shop and have it tapped to take a piece of pipe.
I have got a spare engine and and I have just had a look at the head. There isn't much meat around that area but it looks doable. The pipe is non magnetic so is probably alloy as you said.
What ever you do, the head has to come off which means new head gasket and stretch bolts and while you are at it you might as well replace the timing chain and tensioners.
You are into fair amount of expense and labour. It maybe easier to source a secondhand head. I wouldn't pay more than £100 for one in the UK.
Put down your location.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your replies.

I have today phoned several suppliers and reconditioners, and I was told that BMW supply a new head with the tube, and the tube is not pressed in to the head.
The tube cannot be bought separately, so the other option is to get a workshop to turn a tube down to the correct size.

Paul.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
............ so the tube is screwed into the head?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tube is pressed in to the head like a core plug.
In the end i extracted the tube from my spare engine and used some bearing and thread lock to bond and seal the tube to the head.

Paul.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
OK, thanks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
ETC6547 from Powerfull_uk on ebay £4.50. I had to fit one to my DHSE a few years ago after all else failed, this one is for, I believe for a V8 Classic, I tapped a thread in the head, but found the hole a little large, so pipe thread didn't bite too well, so took up the slack with plastic metal, the type that comes as strip like a putty which then hardens, as I said, a few years now and tens of thousands of miles and still good. Still got the old rotten one on my desk, rotted away the full length one side.
Cheers John

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
the replacement shows it screws into the head. a visit and conversation to a local machine shop or bmw/ land rover specialty repair shop may be wise

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the Bmw m51 engine fitted to the p38, the original tube has no thread, it is pressed in like a core plug.

Petrol engine models may be different ?

Paul.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
On the Bmw m51 engine fitted to the p38, the original tube has no thread, it is pressed in like a core plug.

Petrol engine models may be different ?

Paul.

nah all of the v8's have bolt on pipes onto the intake manifold, we did not receive any of the factory diesels or manual transmissions in the us. that is not to say that 20 yrs later some p38's have not been converted to diesel and manual, as other rover models have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same issue, the pipe has just corroded away. It is press fitted into the head and after a bit of wiggling around I have managed to get it out. However it is so knackered it is difficult to get a good measurement. Approx 86mm long and 34.2mm diameter at the head end the ribbed end is 39.2mm at the top of the ribs. I am going see if I can get one made or if not try a plumbing fitting that will screw in making its own thread. Nobody seems to stock them or make them and there must be a demand as these engines get older. If I have any luck I will post it up here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok after a lot of searching and finding pictures showing the pipe along with cylinder heads it seemed that you could only get the pipe with a cylinder head which is not at all useful. Land Rover never sold it as a spare part so none of the places like Rimmer Brothers have them as old stock, BMW will only sell you it with a cylinder head for shed loads of cash. So I then looked for engine builders and re-manufacturers and hit the jackpot first time with Turner Engineering. They have managed to get the pipe on its own from one of the companies that supplies them and they have also added it to their website as a purchasable part. I have ordered one that with the vat and delivery comes to £22 once it is here I will update again to let everyone know how it goes. I guess it will be crossed fingers until I finally have it in my hand and then fitted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Liteboy,
Good find !
I have also just ordered the pipe from Turner Engineering, after seeing your post.

Paul.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Part arrived yesterday from Turner Engineering, looked better quality than the standard part. I put it in the freezer overnight and have fitted it this morning, I put a light smear of Heldite around the joint and then tapped it in with a mallet and a small block of wood. Have refitted everything, refilled the coolant and ran the enging up to temp without the cap on to expel any air, once it has cooled will top up and take it for a spin.
IMG_20181011_085331.jpg

Here is the link to the part https://www.turnerengineering.co.uk/664613-water-tube-cylinder-head-c2x27117432

1 - 17 of 17 Posts