RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's smoking but it looks like a cheap fix?

Have some coolant shooting out the left side of the heat plate I think, to the left of the left hose shown here, in another forum's write-up
https://www.landroversonly.com/forums/attachments/f40/30089d1323462083-coolant-leak-exploded-coolant-system-view-cimg0139.jpg

I also need decent hose clamps. Mine are perished/****.

Planning to order this heat plate kit
https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/MGM000010KG

Does anybody know how much stuff I have to take apart to install this?
Should I attempt to tighten/seal the plate rather than replace it? I am a novice with some wrenches. None of my neighborhood shops are willing to work on rovers. This is a clean P38 with 120k miles

And probably buying this RTV sealant too
https://www.roverparts.com/parts/RTC3254

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
GEMS or Bosch? ahhh Bosch... it comes with a gasket, no RTV needed, also clean the throttle body while you are in Bosch carbon up far Faster than GEMS

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
51 Posts
Here is my temporary/semi-permanent/permanent fix to my leaking heater plate. I normally drive my Astro van in the winter when there is salt on the road up here in the mountains. Not sure at what temperature the heater is required but so far it has not affected how my P38 starts or runs.

Does anyone know if the heater plate required for all temperatures?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your input. Ordered the heater plate and found some hose clamps at very low price on Atlantic British. I will hope that this installation is within my ability. Know how to do brake pads and rotors, but I am by no means smart or energetic so we'll see. Only drove the RR 100 miles in the past 4-5 months :(

·
Registered
332 Posts
Atlantic british has a great video on replacing that throttle body heater plate.
Watch it 5 times. Go slowly. Have enough light and make sure your surfaces are clean. Use a plastic putty knife as metal can gouge the aluminum. Go slowly and take your time issuing the correct tools and you should be OK.
Make sure the kit you bought is OEM from LR. Aftermarket kits have had a history of catostropic failure in Colorado. Have a bit of extra coolant on hand to top off the coolant and be sure to use the spray that Doug recommends in the video. Best of luck to you

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have heard stories of throttle being stuck wide open in temps as warm as 50 degrees. In Colorado
id never bypass the body. Use an OEM LR kit and you should be good. It’s an easy job.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I’d do the throttle body gasket while it is apart.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’d do the throttle body gasket while it is apart.
That was a great suggestion! I definitely saw what you mean, when I detached the throttle body it had a gasket. I reattached in good condition.

The leak was fixed!! Thank you everybody!

Now, my front brake is really dragging and hot so that's another problem. And my AT has some grains of sand introduced during a driveway fluid & filter change that made the gears whine. I am just an honest fool doing the best I can. Thanks for helping me get one step further; this heater plate & gasket were replaced with apparent success!!! :dance:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts