RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - As getting anything done here in Spain tends to take about a week (slow pace of life is one of the main attractions so I can't moan too much) and my expansion tank is broken I am thinking of doing the replacement myself. New tank is in at the dealers tomorrow.

Is this as simple as it looks? I have slightly better mechanical abilities than a muppet as I have opposing thumbs!

Loos to me like......

Take the old one out - two bolts connecting it to the chassis, three pipes (remove the wire clips and pull out?) and one electrical connector.

Bang it back together by reconnecting the above electrical connector, three pipes (back into the same holes with any luck!), put in place the wire clips and then bolt back to the chassis.

Fill to the 'pop up red fallus indicator' with water and green stuff, and fire her up for a few minutes - let her rest and check the levels again - top up as necessary and repeat until stable!

Jobs a good un!

Am I missing anything which may cost me lots of money and sole searching about why I did not leave it to the dealer!

All help and advice much appreciated - and double marks for sarcastic replies!

·
Registered
300 Posts
morebhp said:
Hi - As getting anything done here in Spain tends to take about a week (slow pace of life is one of the main attractions so I can't moan too much) and my expansion tank is broken I am thinking of doing the replacement myself. New tank is in at the dealers tomorrow.

Is this as simple as it looks? I have slightly better mechanical abilities than a muppet as I have opposing thumbs!

Loos to me like......

Take the old one out - two bolts connecting it to the chassis, three pipes (remove the wire clips and pull out?) and one electrical connector.

Bang it back together by reconnecting the above electrical connector, three pipes (back into the same holes with any luck!), put in place the wire clips and then bolt back to the chassis.

Fill to the 'pop up red fallus indicator' with water and green stuff, and fire her up for a few minutes - let her rest and check the levels again - top up as necessary and repeat until stable!

Jobs a good un!

Am I missing anything which may cost me lots of money and sole searching about why I did not leave it to the dealer!

All help and advice much appreciated - and double marks for sarcastic replies!

i wouldnt use the green stuff....get the rr coolant

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hope you have the RAVE cd. You have to drain the coolant first. The procedure is described in it. After that it should be straight forward. I think you might spend more time draining and refilling the coolant than actually replacing the tank because it involves removing the under tray and removing the drain plug, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery etc.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Search this forum for RAVE CD. You can download it from different sites. www.greenoval.com. It is invaluable if you plan to do anything DIY.

·
Registered
106 Posts
DocJoseph said:
Hope you have the RAVE cd. You have to drain the coolant first. The procedure is described in it. After that it should be straight forward. I think you might spend more time draining and refilling the coolant than actually replacing the tank because it involves removing the under tray and removing the drain plug, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery etc.
i don't think you have to drain the coolant to change the expansion tank. i changed mine out without draining.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Scottuf - bugger just done it! Although I did get lazy and just drained the rad and not the block - just wanted to be sure the expandion tank was empty.

Otherwise followed the book (excellent) - I would just add that those without a ramp should not undertake if claustrophobic (sp?) or suffering from a bad back! I'm going to ache tomorrow.

All seemed to go well - had the air suspension warning on when I first fired her up but have done the steering lock to lock and this has gone away second time fired up.

Only thing seems to have been that it seems to have massively over filled the system - as advised I topped up until the overflow leaked but by that time the expansion tank was also full to the brim and overflowing. I will look again in the morning but it looks like I'm going to have to drain/carefully syphon a little bit out. Run it again and tiop up if neccesary.

Cheers for all the help - much appreciated.

Also noticed the devils at the main dealers seem to have lost half the screws holding the front apron on!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Glad everything worked out. By the way the web address was www.green-oval.com. I was not sure whether you can actually change the tank without draining the coolant. I apologize if I gave you the wrong information.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts