RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIV / L405
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I got the low coolant level message. Topped it off with a little distilled water, it was middle of summer, didnt think anything of it. Last week I notice a little coolant under the RR and thought, "Hmmmm I need to check that out when I get back from vacation." Well Im coming home from the airport, turn up my driveway and hear a POP. The expansion tank was cracked up the side on the edge, top to bottom. Lucky me.

So, thanks to the collective wisdom here, Im gonna bite the bulet and get one from the dealer in the AM. Is there any thing else I can change out quickly before I go to work? I have to go out of town for a week tomorrow and can order parts while Im gone.

BTW there is Green coolant in the system. Im close to a BMW dealer and can buy the blue stuff but dont know if I should mix and match.

Thanks

Christian

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
152 Posts
I would flush all the green out and put the blue in , there are many threads already on this subject , their are many parts in the cooling system you should inspect and change out as preventive maintenance.

·
Registered
494 Posts
If not already done do the upper and lower rad hoses while you are at it. I just did all mine including the expansion tank all for under $300 shipped (BP Utah). Blue goo from BMW is cheap too. Just a bit of a messy job but worth the preventative measure.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Sorry forgot to mention thermostat ad water pump while you are at it. All the the parts came in at about $300. Labour is extra unless you do it yourself, either way your RR is telling you to pay attention to it and love it a little.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIV / L405
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok sooooo:
-Thermostat
-Waterpump
-Upper hose
-Lower hose
-Flush out green junk and replace with BMW blue.

Got it. It has 49,000 miles and live in Southern California. I was in a bit of a rush as I had to get to the airport to catch my flight this morning. But now I have a week of down time to order parts to play with her when I get home. And yes, I do most of my own MX.

Thanks for the list of the usual suspects to change out.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
get a tube of Dow Corning 111 use it on the O rings in the coolant hoses,
all of them.
While your messing with parts consider swapping in a modified water pump and thermostat
NOTE you can use your old thermostat housing so no need to order a new one,
But instead order the M60 thermostat and have a machinist modify the water pump and old thermostat to fit it,

The truck will run cooler and the cooling system will last longer as it wont be subject to 24 PSI but rather closer to 18 PSI.
I made this mod to my truck over a year ago no issues since.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Nice mod for Arizona and California, minus 30 Celsius right now our nation's Capitol! Bloody cold and I want all the heat the beast can muster...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts