RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made a thread about my expansion tank exploding... Replaced all of that

I'm driving yesterday and I smell coolant, I popped the hood and there is coolant everywhere again, except no cracks or sign of damage, just coolant all around the cap, hood liner, on the other side of the engine bay splashed everywhere...

I asked the guy at the service counter for a new cap when I bought the tank and he said, "we never replace caps." Anyone else have a cap that failed?

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
I believe the cap houses a pressure relief valve which could have failed? Again on previous models the cap was a service item to be replaced every 50k or something, BMW/Ford/LR dropped this. The other thing to just quickly check is the bleed screw, make sure it didn't come out of there.

Dan

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dan_UK_1984 said:
I believe the cap houses a pressure relief valve which could have failed? Again on previous models the cap was a service item to be replaced every 50k or something, BMW/Ford/LR dropped this. The other thing to just quickly check is the bleed screw, make sure it didn't come out of there.

Dan
Thanks Dan, looked at it today, the bleed screw was included with the new tank and looks to be sealed up tight... The cap itself is letting coolant by, will replace tomorrow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a 97 Audi (A4) that had the expansion tank replaced under warranty twice for leakage. When I took it in for the third time, (the leakage had not ceased) I asked them to replace the cap instead - problem solved.

These guys just aren't trained to solve problems anymore, just replace the sub-assemblies that the shop computer tells them to. i always go to my own mechanic as soon as the warranty is up - I know he knows how to troubleshoot and solve problems.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
7 Posts
Old thread, but just found out from Land Rover that they recently changed the type of cap they use on the expansion tanks. If the bottom of your expansion tank cap is BLACK, you need to get a new one. The new ones have a YELLOW bottom side. The black ones let too much pressure (steam/coolant/air) out, leading to you having to replace coolant constantly. The new ones with the yellow bottom side release at a higher pressure point, leading to you keeping your coolant in your system!! Buy it online..not from the dealer!!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hmmm, wonder if the new cap will lead to even more expansion tank explosions since it's of a higher release pressure...

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
24 Posts
Does anybody have a part number or a link to an online supplier?
All the sites I've searched still show the "old" black one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts