RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Im back with a new question I noticed the coolant had emptied form the coolant expansion tank so drove to the local garage where they found the water pump to be the problem after a pressure test, my question is I was driving the vehicle for 10- miles and the temperature gauge didn't move from its normal low position ?

is there a risk the head gasket has been damaged ? even if the temperature didn't move and i drove normally

Is it possible pump keeps working without failing but leaking from a seal ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
159 Posts
As long as you did not run it hot put a pump in there and drive it. Most head gasket failures are from people who keep driving even though the gauge is fluctuating up and down. When the coolant gets low the gauge tends to drop to cold even though the engine is overheating on these 5.0 engines. Thats where we have the big failures.

There is still always a chance of further issues since you did drive it. As for the water pump, leaking or not if there is enough fluid in there it will still pump, if the level was to low then there is nothing for it to circulate through the system.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi during the 10miles returning back to the garage the low coolant light displayed then disappeared the temperature stayed normal, they are putting a new water pump is there any way of knowing if any long term damage to the engine ?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
838 Posts
Like Special Ed said. Low coolant is not the same as next to nothing coolant. The sensor is in the expansion tank so it doesn't need to lose that much to trigger the warning. If you had seen steam rising and the temp gauge was high or up and down then you would have concerns but if it was as you describe then you are probably alright.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes always worries about over heating having an l322 prior to this, coolant was still being circulated and a small leak around the water pump as even at the dealership there was not much coolant this had been a small leak I’m thinking whilst the car was sat for 7days on the driveway

1 - 6 of 6 Posts