Range Rovers Forum banner

Coolant Consumption Normal?

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jacksun 
#1 ·
I have a MY08 HSE. It's about 2.5 years old now, but sits a lot (13K miles so far). My Low Coolant indicator triggered today. It's never been topped off so I added about 12oz of coolant into the reservoir. All is well for now. I'm going to monitor to see if it drops again.

Is this normal? I mean the system is sealed, I don't see any cracks and my exhaust isn't smoking...where did the coolant go?

#2 ·
Was the coolant level low when you added those 12 oz, or was it above the minimum? In addition to obvious leaks or cracks in the cooling system or its expansion tank, the Sport has had its fair share of defective floats in some of the expansion tanks - this affected a number of 06-07s though, no 08s as far as I can remember - which would absorb coolant and eventually sink causing a false Low Coolant fault message to pop up (I had that problem on my early build 2006.) Also, some cars - regardless of model year - may occasionally develop faulty low engine coolant switches, see attached TSB, issued a couple of years ago and informing dealers that the switch is now a serviceable part that takes 5 minutes to replace, if it is obvious there are no leaks and the level float is fine.

I am not sure if my mechanic tops it off during regular service, but FWIW I have never had to top off my own coolant tank in nearly 5 years and 140K+ miles of ownership. Make sure you add the right coolant if you need to.

Attachments

#4 ·
Never had an issue with that on my '08. But if it continues, have a pressure check done on the cooling system, otherwise you wil drive yourself crazy looking for it.

#6 ·
I had the same issue and it was an o-ring seal on the reservoir, I think the issue is related to the TSB posted by Umbertob

Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.