Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone. I recently acquired a 2018 range rover with 22 inch wheels and street tires. My desire is to take this vehicle off road, do some over landing and possibly do some mild trails in moab and some of the Alpine passes in Colorado like Blackbear pass at the most extreme. But my current wheel and tire combination is making me apprehensive.

I have searched and scoured most likely every thread and post relating to off-road wheel and tire combinations on this site and do appreciate all the pictures and information people have posted. I thought I was convinced buying another set of 20 inch rims and all-terrain tires was the ticket, but noticed a couple users have bought all-terrain tires and slapped them on their 22 inch rims. My main concern is the lack of sidewall protection with 22 inch rims, But honestly have no real world experience.
I know the 20 inch combination is probably the best way to go, but can I get by with putting a set of beefier tires on my 22 inch rims?
Wheel Car Tire Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,518 Posts
Unfortunately not going to happen on 22's for extreme trails, I just went thru the same issues hunting for something decent in an All Terrain for my 22's as well. On my two previous RR Sports, I've been running 18 inch in a 285/60/18 config (Nitto Terra Grapplers, Yokohama Geolandars), and quite honestly, anything less than a 55 or 60 series to do Black Bear, Imogene, Ophir or any other harder trails will be brutally uncomfortable, can't air down much with less sidewall. I'm still hoping to find a decent A/T in a 20 (need the proper offset rim) to move the tire away from the front steering geometry, or else the wider profile is going to rub. I've tried fitting 285, 275 profile on a set of 20's from my 2013 RRS onto the 2017 FFRR TD6, and they are just too close and the rubber rubs on the inside. I'd venture to say we might be able to get to a 275/50/22, but that's not a lot of rubber for hard core trails...certainly decent for fire roads (Yankee dollar e.g.) but not Imogene or Black Bear.

I'm looking at possibly a set of 20 inch Redbourne's which have a 33 to 37 offset vs. the stock 49 offset on the OEM 22's (did you check your offset?). That should provide more room for rubber...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I suppose even if we did find all-terrain tires for the 22 inch rims, without airing down the ride over those rocky roads would be unbearable. Even if you did survive without any punctures.

i thought 275/55/20‘s would fit on any of the Range Rover / sport / discovery OEM rims, do I have that wrong based on the off set? What would the offset have to be to fit those size of tires?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,518 Posts
Agreed...it will be very jarring otherwise...not much fun either.

On the 2nd comment...it depends on the offset...on my 20's, which were a 53 offset, they were too close and the tire rubbed, so I'd venture to say the wheel needs to be 49 or less offset, but I don't have a set of 20's with a 49 offset to try out unfortunately. Scanning thru a few others on here, I see some aftermarket rims, and some 20's...would need to see if the 20's offered as OEM for the FFRR have a smaller offset than the 20's from the RRS.

·
Registered
2013 Range Rover 5.0SC
46 Posts
I have Range Rover Sport 20” wheels on my L405 SCV8 that fit over the brakes. These will work well for what you want to do. They are my winter set, but have all-terrains with 3-peak mountain snowflake rated tires in 255/55R20 (31” - 5.5” sidewall).

You could run 275/55R20 (32” - 6” sidewall) but may need lift rods. This is the OEM F150 size. LOTS of brand new factory take-offs online for sale.

You could use 285/45R22 (32” - 5” sidewall) tires but you may need lift rods to make them fit.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Registered
2013 Range Rover 5.0SC
46 Posts
I paid $800 🇨🇦 for the wheels, tires, and TPMS. I resold the tires with my 2003 L322 20“ wheels for $800 🇨🇦. Net zero w9th the only cost being a mount/balance. I smaller them on the truck myself. Good trade for me 🙂

Most used wheels and go for $100 🇨🇦 each around here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you all know whether or not this rim will fit on my 2018 super charged? Clearing the calipers?
These 20x8.5” rims come from the L494 Rover sport, have an offset of 47. with 5x120 lugs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you all know whether or not this rim will fit on my 2018 super charged? Clearing the calipers?
These 20x8.5” rims come from the L494 Rover sport, have an offset of 47. with 5x120 lugs
View attachment 293663
[/QUOTEHi Skramrover, did you ever try these wheels with some AT tires
View attachment 293663
Hi Skramrover, did you ever try these wheels from a RR Sport? I was thinking of doing the same (in gloss black) with some 285/50r20 Terra Grappler G2s…

·
Registered
2013 Range Rover 5.0SC
46 Posts
Hi Skramrover, did you ever try these wheels from a RR Sport? I was thinking of doing the same (in gloss black) with some 285/50r20 Terra Grappler G2s…
They should fit. I believe they are the same spec as my 2018 RRS wheels shown above that fit.

The 285 section width tire may look a bit bulbous on a 8.5” rim though as compared to a 9.5”.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup. Bought 5 and tried them on the front. The rims fit with no issues. Now I just need to prep them and paint them black and get some tires for them

1 - 12 of 12 Posts