RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have read ALOT of the posts about coils and EAS. It seems that the opinions are pretty strong on both sides. I just have a few questions. I am living in the UAE where it is very hot for most of the year. Will this cause me more problems with EAS? I want to use my 1998 P38 4.6 HSE for offroading (sand and mountains). The local Land Rover mechanic is strongly recommending that I stay with coils, but the coils that are on the truck from PO constantly bottom out. In other words I would need new coils and shocks.

It looks like the compressor, drive pack, air tank and some of the hoses are still intact. Considering the cost of refurbishing the parts I have and the parts I would need, what would my cost be to make the conversion? Excluding Labor, which is pretty cheap here. I am thinking about using Gen III Bags and I know I need new height sensors.

I am not looking for a precise figure just ballpark. My biggest issue will be getting parts here as shipping can be very expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my first LR RR and I guess I just want it to be as original as possible.:shock:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Welcome !

See the thread by DesertDude on the same subject.

I have two P38s one with coils and the other with air, and I am now certain that air is better all round - ride, handling ruts, cornering, stability and isolation from road noise (BUT - I don't go off road much).

The Gen 3 bags are wonderful and stop the car rolling as much as with oem bags.

Gen 3s USD 1,000 or so delivered by courier.
Get height sensors used
Check that eas ecu is still intact
Valve block kit USD 20 + shipping
Compressor crank, cylinder and seal say USD 50?
Shocks - stay with oem if needed.

Do the valve block yourself or get someone patient and painstaking to do it for you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Where should I purchase parts from to get best price and shipping? Can I find used height sensors locally?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I got my springs directly from Arnott in Florida - they deliver very quickly. You could do a search around to see if they are cheaper on eBay or similar. Arnott offer a one year warranty if you buy outside the USA.

Height sensors you could get at a scrap yard (Sharjah) or beg a set from someone on coils .... they unbolt easily.

General parts you get from Gulf Stars in Sharjah or the surrounding dealers; apart from that Scotty on this site is a good source.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Located in Al Ain, but moving to Abu Dhabi by January.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Al Ain has National Auto, Abu Dhabi has Gulf Star

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I will begin my search soon!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Yes, Gulf Star in Mussafah (if you can find it!).

They stock oem and after-market stuff.

The agent is Premier Motors also in Mussafah, to be avoided at all costs. Seriously.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help. I have been to the Gulf Stars in Al Ain, but they seam to be hit and miss with what they carry. I am going to take a trip to Sharjah soon to see what they have laying around. I have the coordinates to a scrap yard that has P38 parts, so I am going to give that a look.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts