RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Converting the Exterior of a Mark II P38 RR to the Newer Mark III/L322 RR

Hello RR fans!

I would like to begin by apologizing if this information is already available, in-depth, on RR.Net . I am a newer member and have yet to find any relative discussion on this topic.

I own a blue, 2000 P38 LR/RR 4.6 HSE. I have just finished rebuilding the EAS/Suspension System as-well-as the brake system. Maybe I am biased because it's my persnal Rover, but I must say, it is one of the cleanest/mechanically correct RR's I have seen.

As maintenance is needed, I replace or rebuild everything to the RR's factory (stock) specifications. Other than the rear subwoofers, everything is currently perfect.

I'd like to start upgrading it's style and function. As mentioned, it functions perectly and I rarely take it off-road,so I'd like to begin body modifications first.

I have searched the web looking for conversion packages, but I have been unsuccessful, only finding products for 2003+ RR models.

I am a real fan of the MIII RR - not the RR Sport, though it is awesome as well. Although I have seen different modifications, such as; installing the side vents, updated headlamps, new grille, etc., I haven't seen a full package. In-fact, I haven't found a place to purchase the items mentioned in the modifications above.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Re: Converting the Exterior of a Mark II P38 RR to the Newer Mark III/L322 RR

Covered ad nauseum including parts lists, tacky photos and pricing at time of postings.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,198 Posts

Covered ad nauseum including parts lists, tacky photos and pricing at time of postings.
This.

Martin

·
Premium Member
626 Posts

Why not just buy a mark III?i have seen countless examples of people's efforts to make their already beautiful looking P38's look like mark III's and they all look like crap.you be better off buying a new ford Mondeo and ripping off the ford badge to replace it with an Aston Martin badge lol.dont do it man.even putting the side vents on a P38 looks like crap IMHO.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1,418 Posts

OK, to be clear, I am with Martin and Carl. Get what you really want and take the p38 into the woods where it belongs. If you are thinking resale, then that will not work at all. If you prefer the new one and have the cash and value your time, get the newer one.

But, if you are one who just likes to tinker and play, and have unlimited cash, then please do not let us get in your way. You are new, and what you get from us is honesty, and honesty includes what would we do with our own money. ---- Side vents? No way. ----- Snorkel? Oh yes. ----- If it is decoration, no. If it adds usability then probably yes (with a cost benefit.)

The p38 can be a difficult lover, sometimes fickle and always expensive, but there is something that keeps several hundred of us on this board with them. For me it is the cascade trails and trips to the passes for skiing.

Every part you can think of is in this forum, keep searching, you will find much faster than waiting for someone to respond to a post.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts

Sadly, I'm with the other guys... I own a P38 (and have had 2 others prior) because I love the shape and looks of it as it is.

You seem to be mechanically inclined, so if you want something that looks like an L322, then why not just buy an L322 and maintain that to the same high standards you've set for the maintenance of the P38?

IMHO you are far more likely to get a better resale value on a genuine, well maintained P38 (people know they can be problematic, and I'm sure there's someone out there who would pay top dollar, for a top notch p38) than a P38 which has been bodged to look like a MK III (and it would be bodging - because as far as I know from reading other people's build threads on the front/rear conversions - the panels don't fully line up, and there needs to be some cutting/drilling etc to get the L322 panels/bumper/lights etc to fit properly.)

Also, then you enter into the realms (I'm not sure what it's like in the states, but definitely here in the UK) of having to try and get it insured - as it is now not 'factory specification', but a 'modified vehicle' and if one of your modifications fails, or doesn't do what it's designed to (for a MK III) in a crash - then I can imaging the insurance company would be playing a really big game of 'we are not going to pay out'.. I know that they would here in the UK - But as I said, I'm not sure what the regulations are in the states.

Most people on here who own P38's are enthusiasts of the marque - we own P38's because we like them the way they are - styling, driveability, and sometimes even for their problems, as it gives us a reason to slink out into the garage (or my case the driveway) and get our hands dirty!

Good luck with whatever you decide - but as others have posted, search and ye shall find. If you don't come up with anything by using the forum search, then do a google search for it, and I'm sure a whole bunch of rangerovers.net results will come up..

Cheers,
Marty

·
Registered
83 Posts

Agree with previous posters. Don't junk it up. Keep her in original condition. It looks much classier with the look it was intended.

Kevin

·
Registered
253 Posts

Hi there.

Even when the conversion is done with superb quality finish, it never looks good. The only desent advise to give is - Don`t go there - it will **** up the looks of your car completely.

sad but true...

·
Registered
208 Posts

Just want to try and balance things up a little....
I love my P38, but i'm sure some of the purists would prefer it didn't have 20" Stormer alloys on it! I think it looks great though, but agree it might ride even better with stock 18"s on.
Obviously if you have the money and want an L322 then buy one, but if you don't and you like the look of a P38/L322 hybrid, then why not?
I have seen plenty of RR's of various models with mods, some work, some don't (in my opinion), but their owners seem happy enough.
I'm sure plenty of people have fitted later model clear lights to earlier P38s, and done other mods, lifts etc.
Each to their own on form/function.
It would be a shame to ruin the function of your RR with aesthetic mods, but i don't think the OP plans that.
I would be interested to see how it turns out.
I don't really use my RR off road, but it's nice to know i can (wheels aside....), but i wanted a vehicle i can tow with. The RR fits the bill perfectly.
There are plenty of sites that do "upgrades", and if you are handy, as Marty says you can modify parts to fit.
And as for resale value, i don't think many of us will recoup the money spent on our P38s when it comes to sale time!
Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
If the mods work, then you may get asked for a "how to"!
Cheers
Matt

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts

I definately agree "to each their own" however I have NEVER seen a L322 "conversion" that looked right. The pieces simply do not nor would they ever line up correctly. Same with the gills, they simply do not fit correctly with the body lines and always look out of place. I'd love for someone to eventually proove me wrong but I am not going to hold my breath.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,198 Posts

FAR from a purist, judging from my motor swap, but it just looks like crap. Plain as that on my end.

Martin

·
Premium Member
626 Posts

There's a big differance between putting a set of 20" rims on a P38 & then hacking its face off because you want to make it look like its younger (and ugly IMHO) brother.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts