RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking in the RAVE manual and see that some of the basic models came with a manual controlled HVAC system. Has anyone considered doing this to get rid of the blend motors? I think its probably only a European option. Anyone in Europe ever seen these? Are they rare?

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
The're over here (uk) probably the (low line) SE models. But i think it still works via the blend motors.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need to look at rave more to
See how it works. I emailed a guy in the UK about it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
448 Posts
no blend motors all done by cable will just need the ends to replace the blend motors
Tony

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
91 Posts
Looks like it is only hot/cold is manual. Air distribution is still by buttons, means blend motors. Right?

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Beg's the question, how does the 'Program' button function (which sets both temp's to 'max'), or the distribution blend motor?

·
Registered
448 Posts
when I replaced blend motors there was the connectors for cable push pull next to the motors that control the temp maybe there still is a blend motor for the distribution
Tony

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
I was wondering perhaps i'd just missed these cable's/unit's on my trawl's of posts/ebay/parts/RAVE over the year's but on the P38 it looks to be purely via blends, RAVE describes the rotary control's pictured quite clearly in the Heating and Ventilation section of the Workshop Manual. The Disco II does use cables on a suspiciously similar looking unit and actuated from similar positions, so you could have either a blend motor or a normal cable moving those controls. If you look at the back of the Disco rotary control unit (that has cables) it is very bulky to accommodate these control cables, whereas the P38 (which is always described as an Heater ECU) looks similar to the full blown AC/lcd unit.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Easy way to check would be to hit up MicroCat. However as the blend motors flaps etc are outsourced units any connectors for cables could be for other makes of cars. I would be very surprised if any P38 was cable driven. Surely the subject of a stuck cable or snapped end would have popped up at somepoint over the years.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Indeed, it should have popped up with something. For the OP some manual provision is probably doable with some Disco bits and bobs. But why not just repair the blends as you're going to have to go in there anyway.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
But why not just repair the blends as you're going to have to go in there anyway.
This. The blend motors are quite reliable. The first one went out on my rig when it was at @190k miles, and @12yrs old. Not bad in my book (pardon the pun!).

Martin

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
265K+ on mine. Only issue is an occasional pop from a binding flap when I am somewhere really hot like Phoenix.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, my goal is to simply the operation of some things. which may seem stupid to some people who think these things are priceless heirlooms. sorry, i don't think mine will ever be a collectors dream.

I'd like to not have to ever take the dash apart again. i agree that the blend motors are probably pretty reliable, but I also just like to ditch the failing LED screen as well. I've had it apart a number of times, I've replaced all the bulbs once. it was working great, but now its starting to die again.

i'd like to spend more money on making it more off road capable. i love the vehicle, i just hate some parts of it. I'm tired of wasting money on stupid things that should last the lifetime of the car.

i've been toying with a way to get rid of blend motors. when i last had them out i noticed there must be a way to control them manually. when i looked through the rave manual i found that other manual controller. i'm trying to find the correct one, then I'll start working on the conversion.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

As it is mostly the indication that is going wrong and not the actual motors that drive the flaps it is easy to make them manual controlled with switches to apply power to them and disconnect them from the ECU. I have disconnected mine years ago after that I set them to face, fully cooling and the recirculation flaps in recirculation position.(Done with applying 12 VDC towards the motors after they have been disconnected.) That is all that is needed when driving the car in the tropics. I have also disconnected and bypassed the heater matrix. I have the parts to convert everything back to original but so far there is always other more important things to fix.

Regards

Jos

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Interested to see how this comes out. It's been on my mind for some years now since I first noted the cable connections in the flap box drive gears. Heat and distribution should be straight forward enough. The kicker would be getting the A/C to function since all those sensors seem to tie in through the Valeo unit software.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I understand the frustration in dealing with the blend motors and I absolutely agree that they should last the life of the vehicle. But the reality, is that replacing the blend motors will take an afternoon of work. Trying to figure out how to source the manual selectors, source and install cables, anchor the cables, bypass the electronics, and/or rewire the blend motors will be many, many more hours and in my mind will only lead to more frustration and headaches. Just replace them once and they will last the remainder of the life of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Can't disagree with your reasoning... buuut.... since the provision is there it does present a somewhat tantalizing challenge.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
timely, a picture of the back of AWR1010 (the manual version) but still no cable provision, unfortunately ruling out a plug and play option.

manual.jpg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts