RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a P38 - 4.0 V8 Bosch - 1999. It has the orange indicators and would like to convert to the later clear indicators. I have found the part numbers for the front:

- Orange indicators (to XA430701) -> AMR2690 & AMR 2688
- Clear indicators (from YA430702) -> XBD100920 & XBD100930

Can I just order XBD100920 & XBD100930 and replace my orange indicators with them or will these not fit? Modifications required?

Thank you!

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
They are exact fit, no modifications necessary. I seriously doubt they are available new since it's been 16 years since the P38 was produced. A good source that would be a fraction of the cost of dealer is eBay. They pop up here in the States rather frequently. Not sure if you are on this side of the pond. We've had few full front and rear sets listed here over the past year. They don't last long.

Here's a set of full clear fronts in New York. https://www.ebay.com/i/113047775906?chn=ps

Or here are all 6 lenses with proper amber front reflectors in Florida. https://www.ebay.com/i/123233395682?chn=ps

Here are the four rear panels https://www.ebay.com/i/113149301921?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=20160908110712&meid=79096fd16e0a41f4b8041c2a2b01d837&pid=100677&rk=1&rkt=14&sd=123233395682&itm=113149301921

Don't at all be afraid to purchased used. A bit of cleaning wax or good old fashioned TR3 will polish the lenses right up.

·
Super Moderator
2,222 Posts
Probably no longer available from LR but Britpart ones are listed by the usual suspects, Island 4x4, LRDirect, Britcar, Rimmers, in the UK You will also need to replace the rears or it will just look plain silly, part numbers are XFB101720, XFB101730, XFE100220 and XFE100230. You'll also need to change the bulbs for amber ones.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Britpart are a bit flimsy compared with the original factory parts. However they are the only way you can install clear front markers with clear reflectors from what I hear.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
Bearmach also does them all, I like them better than Allmakes or Brickpart. the latter are chinese.
the price is quite reasonable.
Some are genuine.
the front ones ( just ordered one for a friend come to 16 USD, rear ones to 67. )

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the information, I'm glad they are a exact fit. I'm getting al the part numbers together, but 2 of them are not on stock, anywhere :(

Indicator Lamp Front LH -> XBD100930
Indicator Lamp Front RH -> XBD100920
Orange bulb -> XZQ100190L
Side repeater (2x) -> XGB000020
Rear Lamp Tailgate RH -> XFE100220
Rear Lamp Tailgate LH -> XFE100230
Rear Lamp Body RH -> XFB101720
Rear Lamp Body LH -> XFB101730

The last 2 cannot be ordered, anywhere, very strange.. The rest is in stock at the usual supplier LRDirect, Paddock, ..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nevermind, I just ordered a full set (front, rear and repeaters) on Ebay ;)

Thank you all for the confirmation that it is a exact fit!

·
Super Moderator
2,222 Posts
Don't get the XZQ100190L orange bulbs unless you are getting the bulb holders as well as the lenses. They have offset pins so won't fit your original holders but standard amber bulbs as used in numerous other cars with pins 180 degrees apart will. It's done so you can't put standard clear bulbs in by mistake but most other manufacturers don't seem to care about that (neither do owners from the number of Renaults, Vauxhalls, Peugeots,, etc I see with clear bulbs in the indicators).

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Amber bulbs for the P38 are readily available in any parts house.

For the rear they are a single contact single filament bulb with the same base as the reverse light... just with amber glass.

For the front they dual contact dual filament with off set sprags so you can't put them in backwards. same base as the brake/tail lights... just with amber glass

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just FYI
you can use for the rear
XFB101750 and xFB101740.. which is what I ordered recently from BM
they are 'NAS' but there is no difference in fitting..
Good to know! But they are pretty pricey ..

RRToadHall said:
What's that about a BM? Who is BM?
I suppose that's BearMach ;)

PS: I did not order any bulbs, I'm first waiting for the lenses to arrive and will check afterwards which bulbs I need.

·
Super Moderator
2,222 Posts
For the rear they are a single contact single filament bulb with the same base as the reverse light... just with amber glass.

For the front they dual contact dual filament with off set sprags so you can't put them in backwards. same base as the brake/tail lights... just with amber glass
Not for an EU spec car they aren't. Front and rear are single filament (as we have white sidelights in the headlamp rather than amber running lights as on a NAS car, amber lights to the front, other than indicators, are illegal in EU) but the rear at least have offset pins so standard 180 degree pin bulbs cannot be fitted. Don't remember if the pins are offset on the front or not but the rears definitely are. This only applies if the car came with the later lamp units, earlier ones use standard 180 degree offset pins so the actual bulbholders are different but either will fit either lenses.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Ahh BearMach... never used them. If I run into something that has to be purchase from the UK I call Rimmer Bros. They have been good to me for over 30 years with my other makes.

As far as which bulbs you will need. You folks require amber front markers and directionals front and rear correct?

·
Super Moderator
2,222 Posts
In EU (including UK) we need white front sidelights (marker lights) and red rear lights. Indicators need to be amber front and back but a steady light showing to the front cannot be amber or red. Makes it difficult getting an American import through the mandatory test as the front amber marker lights have to be disconnected and white ones installed but you still need to keep the amber lights as indicators. Rear can get complicated because a lot of NAS cars have red rear indicators incorporated in the brake lights but we must have separate red brake lights and amber indicators, a flashing red brake light acting as an indicator is illegal.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
39 Posts
i´ve bought my set on ebay for my EU_Spec and I made sure they come with the bulb holders, to avoid the hassle with the different bulb holders.
If You are at this point consider the silver coated / chromed amber bulbs, the look is "more" clear / white. With the orange / amber bulbs there is still a rather "orangish" shimmer in the side repeaters and front indicators.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for the tips and information. Received the set yesterday and installation was a breeze! The set came with bulb holders and still working bulbs so it was just a 1-on-1 swap, looks a lot cleaner and younger now! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts