RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New uk member here. Just bought a 94 LSE with LPG conversion. Covered 200 miles on the way home and apart from the occasional wheel wobble it seems fine. It does seem to drip rather - mainly from the engine and rear diff - am I likely to fix this or do they all do this?
That aside and a few electricery gremlins - heated seats and cruise not working - it seems fine. I'll get used to wafting rather than more spirited driving in my 944T.
Many uk based cars on here? I'm in wilts

David

·
Registered
523 Posts
Welcome aboard!

I wouldn't worry too much about the leaks - some say that a Land Rover that doesn't leak has just run out of fluids! See if it's anything obvious, but personally I can live with the odd drip.

I don't have heated seats, so can't really help other than to suggest you try the usual process of testing with a multimeter to check for current to all the right places. Could be the element within the seat - I know the P38s are prone to that failing. Cruise could be vacuum pipes or electrical issues. Google 'green oval rave' and you'll find a site that has a workshop manual to download, but the Haynes manual is pretty good as well.

As you're in Wilts, a good source of spares is a chap called Alan who trades on ebay under the name 'rangeroverheaven'. I've had a few bits from him over the years, even though it's a bit of a trek for me to Wilts from Bucks to go and collect big/heavy bits.

Oh, and let's see a few pics!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi and welcome - I have the same car and in the 8 years we've had it, this forum (and others) has been a wonderful source of wisdom, encouragement and help - someone else has nearly always had the same problems you experience and have already found the solution.

Leaks - pretty much as mentioned above, some say Landrovers don't leak, they mark their territory. Most likely culprit for the engine is either sump or rear crank seal, although a badly leaking rocker cover should be pretty obvious. Never had problems with either diff so can't help there. Heated seats can be repaired see here http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetail ... theat.html.
Cruise will be split vac pipe(s), rubber diaphragm at the end of the accelarator cable on the plenum or the ribbon cable in the steering wheel. The cable can be repaired, have a search on here, I've seen instructions somewhere.

Good luck

Alastair

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both, The heated seat page looks useful. I need to check the obvious things first - like the fuse - err where's the fuse box? I could go looking but I'm sure some kindly soul will tell me.
Does the heating element fuse run anything else?
All the movement motors work on both seats (I think) although the seat back on the drivers is fixed as the little "back" switch has been broken, the "seat" bit is fine. I'll prize the top off and see what has actually broken. I noticed that people sell the plastic "backs" and "seats" on ebay and they seem alot cheaper than the whole thing. Saw one at £78!

Main concern with the leaks is the mess - I can keep putting oil in the top. I assume you can refill the diffs easily enough.
Got to master filling with LPG - I did have a go when I bought it and getting the hose on properly seems a bit of an art.
I'll do some pics.

David

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone know a good way of sorting out peeling lacquer on bumpers?
I have a Brooklands body kit and the front looks a little tatty as the lacquer is starting to come off.
On the face of it a rub down and respray would do it but any info gratefully received.
David

·
Registered
170 Posts
Welcome.
I have a '95 Soft Dash LSE on LPG and wouldn't be without it now. Your rear diff may be porous, mine leaked when I bought it and you can buy a new diff pan to replace (it has to be welded) the porous one. There is a good 'how to' guide here: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=39815
Your heated seats problem will more than likely be broken wires at the heating element.
Using the LPG can be challenging at times. I repositioned my filler in the end as one of the two main types of attachment used in the uk wouldn't fit as the handle fouled the body. Its worth having your filler at the rear of the vehicle in the middle (mines on my towbar bracket) as it makes for quicker filling if you can access either side of the pump!

We need some pictures now!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Roo.
Someone agreed with you as the LPG filler is indeed on the tow bar mount. Made a bit of a fool of myself at the local BP station as I could not get the filler to work. It was a different style to the ones (ok one!) I had used before. A nice lady came out to help me.
Anyone give an opinion of a chap called Stuart Armson? He offers a mobile rangie service (is factory trained apparently).
No reason to doubt him and he seems active in the uk fora. Thought I might get him to come and give it the once over before the winter.
Ok I'll do some pics!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts