RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got another range rover that had been converted to coils. Not sure which kit it is, it has blue springs with a white line painted down them, and it sits fairly low. Anyway I have some used air bags I would like to put back on it. The spring swap is pretty straight forward. What confuses me is how to get the system going again. I am not sure where to look to "re-activate" the system, the controls, computer, etc.

I tried searching, but with all the key words the only thing I could come up with is threads converting to coils.

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Well if you reverse the process to go coils........you'll be able to reverse them back to air bags

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
You'll need to go through the truck component by component to make sure everything is there. If the valve block and compressor are there I would order the rebuild kits from Dennis and do them ahead of time. Once everything is installed start plugging everything in holding off on the relay timer until last. Start her up with a door open and wait for the compressor to turn off, close the door and cross your fingers. Worse case is that you'll have a fault but that can be cleared for free using the RSW software. :thumb:

Good luck and please keep us posted!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also want to convert/restore back to air suspention,just havent had the time to go over the Rangie and see what's missing. :think:

·
Registered
448 Posts
nelson845
if you post your location there may be someone close by that can help don't forget we are a global community
Tony

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
viperover said:
Well if you reverse the process to go coils........you'll be able to reverse them back to air bags
The coils were already on the truck when I got it.

The compressor and valve block are there still. I would think that if the PO left those, they wouldnt take the other electronic stuff out, although I havent checked yet. I guess my question is, they someone deactivated the EAS because the buttons arent lit up and the message center is not beeping at me. After I swap the springs, how do I get the EAS buttons to work?

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
For the message they either jumpered the main harness as outlined in the repairs section or have a "foolers box" in place. As far as the switch they most likely just unplugged it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I would like to do this. I need to check and see what components are there also. The last rover is by far my favorite but the only p38 I ever bought that was already converted. I will look today to see if the main pieces are there. :pray:

·
Registered
865 Posts
vmystikilv said:
I would like to do this. I need to check and see what components are there also. The last rover is by far my favorite but the only p38 I ever bought that was already converted. I will look today to see if the main pieces are there. :pray:

mmmm interesting considering on another thread you mentioned it made no difference, anyway if you want pics etc to aid in making sure you have all thats needed Im sure they can be added but just a brief fly check:

Compressor (condition needs to be determined)
Valve block (condition needs to be determined)
Valve driver pack (bet this is blown which makes many owners convert to coil in the first place)
All air pipes in place (no joins, if so replace, not difficult)

Under seat:
EAS computer (rarely gives trouble)
EAS timer (tall black box looks like a relay)
Dash switches still where they suppose to be (these are known to go but again rare)

Under vehicle:
Air tank still where it suppose to be (worth applying pressure to test for leaks, Ive had one go on end cap welds again rare)
Location on air bag mountings ok and not modified
Shock absorber type.

Like you I have 3 customers wanting to convert back to original..

Hope this helps

·
Registered
407 Posts
To me, it doesnt make a difference which one i have from a driving perpespective. they both have there pluses and minues and as far as im concerned they all even out whichever way you go. Now, for the coolness feature. Heck yeah!!! :dance:
For the moment I need a hobby anyways and All I need as I can see is a pump and 4 bags. I may do it, i may not. either way, Im a happy rover guy :mrgreen:
Coiled or Air, the rover I have now is still by far my favorite out of all the ones I ever had and will be most likely my last as I do not like the MKIII's at all.Dont get me wrong, its a superb SUV, just not what I want. Having had extensive use of one for quite some time it just wasnt my cup of tea. When this rover dies, which it may never as I have learned a lot over the years and take extremely good care of this one, G Wagon here I come :wink:

BTW
Whats the best price on a pump and bags these days. You said you have three in the shop, I am figuring you are the best person to ask where to get the goods :)

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
He is also in South Africa, so shipping may be an issue for the price... :lol:
Shoot Scotty a PM if you are after used parts (valve block, driver, compressor, ecm, relay).
I got my Arnott bags off their Ebay store and saved some coin.
Dennis stocks the airline, and the rebuild kits for the valve block and compressor.

Martin

·
Registered
865 Posts
Yeah our price structure here is very different but just as an example if the dollar exchange was 10 to 1 to the south african rand a 327 upgrade compressor fitted is roughly 330 Us Dollars but the dollar has dropped against the rand to around 8 to 1 making it roughly 250 dollars

If you do decide to convert go for the 327 compressor, makes a big difference in pumping up etc

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
viperover said:
vmystikilv said:

mmmm interesting considering on another thread you mentioned it made no difference, anyway if you want pics etc to aid in making sure you have all thats needed Im sure they can be added but just a brief fly check:

Compressor (condition needs to be determined)
Valve block (condition needs to be determined)
Valve driver pack (bet this is blown which makes many owners convert to coil in the first place)
All air pipes in place (no joins, if so replace, not difficult)

Under seat:
EAS computer (rarely gives trouble)
EAS timer (tall black box looks like a relay)
Dash switches still where they suppose to be (these are known to go but again rare)

Under vehicle:
Air tank still where it suppose to be (worth applying pressure to test for leaks, Ive had one go on end cap welds again rare)
Location on air bag mountings ok and not modified
Shock absorber type.

Like you I have 3 customers wanting to convert back to original..

Hope this helps

Thanks for the list, thats very helpful in figuring out if anything is missing. Just got back from a short camping trip so I havent checked yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts