RangeRovers.net Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, out of frustration in being able to find a leak in my EAS, I bought a coil conversion kit from Suncore... I just got a call from the mechanic, that says that a) all 4 springs are exactly the same, and that the rears are lose when the vehicle is up (which could be a concern if I hit a pot hole, etc)...

I called Suncore, and they said that the weight of the vehicle is enough to keep them in place...

Fine, so I call back the mechanic, and they said that the rear is about 3 inches noticeably lower than the fronts...

IS THIS NORMAL?

What do I need to do to correct this now?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
JFo said:
So, out of frustration in being able to find a leak in my EAS, I bought a coil conversion kit from Suncore... I just got a call from the mechanic, that says that a) all 4 springs are exactly the same, and that the rears are lose when the vehicle is up (which could be a concern if I hit a pot hole, etc)...

I called Suncore, and they said that the weight of the vehicle is enough to keep them in place...

Fine, so I call back the mechanic, and they said that the rear is about 3 inches noticeably lower than the fronts...

IS THIS NORMAL?

No it is not normal. No the springs should not all be the same. TO correct it they need to send you the proper springs for the rear or take the whole kit back so you can purchase a proper spring kit.

·
Registered
483 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
JFo said:

IS THIS NORMAL?

No it is not normal. No the springs should not all be the same. TO correct it they need to send you the proper springs for the rear or take the whole kit back so you can purchase a proper spring kit.
Better still send them back and fix the EAS

·
Registered
401 Posts
I wonder if they bolt their engines down. Where I come from that vehicle would be deemed unsafe and towed away for a Vehicle inspection. Send em back and put the air-ride back on.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I do have a problem with these? Its fine for the classic to replace the air for steel. After all the classic was on steel to start and was crash tested and type approved as such.
However, A 38 never had steel so does not have either crash test or type approval for steel.
There is a thought that if An insurance company finds that an accident is caused by this 'modification' then you might find you have no cover.
As far as the question goes, go back to the seller, to have loose or ill fitting springs is just plain DANGEROUS !! Even more so on a car that was not meant to have them.

·
Registered
468 Posts
john-sussex said:
I do have a problem with these? Its fine for the classic to replace the air for steel. After all the classic was on steel to start and was crash tested and type approved as such.
However, A 38 never had steel so does not have either crash test or type approval for steel.
There is a thought that if An insurance company finds that an accident is caused by this 'modification' then you might find you have no cover.
As far as the question goes, go back to the seller, to have loose or ill fitting springs is just plain DANGEROUS !! Even more so on a car that was not meant to have them.
Then you simply inform the insurance company that your vehicle has been modified as per any other modification. Is there any insurance difference with replacing with larger wheels, different brakes, different tyre to factory fitted etc etc. The majority of the coil conversion parts (all but one piece AFAIK) are LR design from other vehicles.

Spoke to my mechanic last week. They're averaging 2 coil conversions per week.

·
Registered
537 Posts
rogan said:
john-sussex said:
Then you simply inform the insurance company that your vehicle has been modified as per any other modification. Is there any insurance difference with replacing with larger wheels, different brakes, different tyre to factory fitted etc etc. The majority of the coil conversion parts (all but one piece AFAIK) are LR design from other vehicles.

Spoke to my mechanic last week. They're averaging 2 coil conversions per week.

I do see your point, to a part i agree. However with something as important as the Springs be it air or coil they need to be correct.
The P38 never has been tested with coils. There is a thought over here that as the The p38 only ever had air that coils might in some instances be dangerous. Fair enough if the kit is a proper kit that has been put together ok. what worries me with the chap above it seems that he has been given a kit that is totally wrong and is being fobbed off by the supplier. I have witnesed the result of a P38 with a poor spring conversion and they are lucky to still be here. Yes tyres/ brakes are very important and most people up-grade to better but messing around with something that is holding your off the ground well-think about it, there you are travelling at a safe speed round a corner and opps out pops an unseated spring! A classic has the proper coil spring seats, A 38 does not.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
All ok to use coils BUT anti roll bars for the type need to be fitted.
Soon adaptive shocks will be available and will radically change the P38 if there are any available for them.
The main complaints I hear is going into corners, coils change it in a big way
If Im not mistaken you can get cross linked shocks but whats available I wouldnt know

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've called the manufacturer, and they've indicated that all 4 springs are identical, and that the smaller end of the springs should be up... I've called the mechanic, and they swear that this is precisely (that's how it's always done) how they were installed...

I'm not happy as it's obvious that someone is lying... either way it's going to cost me more money to fix.

·
Registered
468 Posts
viperover said:
All ok to use coils BUT anti roll bars for the type need to be fitted.
Soon adaptive shocks will be available and will radically change the P38 if there are any available for them.
The main complaints I hear is going into corners, coils change it in a big way
If Im not mistaken you can get cross linked shocks but whats available I wouldnt know
I haven't driven an EAS rangie so don't have a benchmark to measure against but I'm very happy with the coil/shock system I have. I don't drive spiritedly (why would you in something with the aerodynamics of a custard square) so I don't notice cornering issues. I find the p38 on coils to be more comfortable than my e39 BMW which has a slight factory lowering, but it's a bit of an apple v orange comparison. I can appreciate that some people love their EAS but I don't think coils are the poor cousin. In fact there are five posts (less than usual I might add) excluding stickies on the first page of the p38 subforum about EAS issues so maybe EAS is the 'poor' cousin. :think:

BTT, just spoke to my mechanic: he fits Disco 1 springs +20mm. The Disco1+20mm means you can retain the P38 shocks

Front and rear should definitely be different lengths

·
Registered
61 Posts

This is how it should sit. These are stock british atlantic springs.

The front and rears are different. I believe the fronts themselves have more coils

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Rogan... it sounds like Suncore sold me a crappy conversion kit... I'm not sure how to take it up with them at this point... I know I can get a rear conversion kit... perhaps just to swap it out...

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
So as to understand you right...
You yanked the eas due to leaks, and assumed it more cost effective to put coils on it.
You buy a coil "kit" and it is junk from the install.
Now you are talking about buying a rear "kit"?????????
Am I missing something here?
Cost and hassle effective? I don't think so, but maybe I am off kilter here.

And for all the folks who say that the "kits" use LR coils etc, that is a totally pointless statement. That is the same as me putting Jeep leaf springs onto a coil sprung Jeep. Never type tested, never approved by anyone, and you can be sure that LR, Jeep or whoever won't be holding your hand in court. In these days of stupid lawsuits, you are a lawyers dream. How much cheaper is it then? :naughty:
No where I have traveled to is as bad as the USA for blood sucking lawyers, and you want to make their job easier? :roll:
Just because the better "kits" use Defender coils does NOT make them right for another LR product. 2 totally different animals when 1 was designed for coils from the drawing board, and the other for air bags.
by all means put coils on, it is your rig not mine, but please do not mislead folks into thinking they are fine in the eyes of the law just because the coils came on another LR product.
Just my .02

Martin

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, seems that my post has created some conversation...

Before you judge me on my decision to switch to coils, please know that a) I had exhausted all of my options to find the issue with my suspension, including buying a dealer compressor, control module, Valve Block, and new springs... to the tune of almost 2k.... not including labor, and down time of the vehicle.

When I continued to have issues... I came back to this very forum, and asked for assistance... Where were you with your .02 then? I say this out of frustration... If you were in my shoes, and had looked at all of the options that I had, and had already exhausted any additional income I had (while being unemployed), you would understand that my decision to convert to coils was out of a simple desire to move on with this OBVIOUSLY sub par system on ALL Range Rovers.... They all fail... fine. I knew that, and I did what I could to fix the issue...

I purchased a legitimate product, which has been used for years, without any apparent downside other than making the vehicle non stock, and in my case... BETTER.

I'm not sure what the mechanic meant when he said the rear of the truck was sagging about 3 inches below the fronts... I've confirmed with the manufacturer that these springs were installed correctly... I can't see any considerable difference or sag between the front and rears... and in fact, my 20 mile drive home from the mechanic was great! I rode nice and high, and smoothly over the terrible New England roads...

I'm finally happy that this is behind me.

Thanks to all for the positive feedback and assistance in attempting to get my truck back on the road...

Martin, I assume your .02 was meant for someone else, as I only came here for help with an issue, and have NO INTENTION of swaying anyone into the benefits of COILS... I however... am very happy with mine.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Indeed my comments were towards others that state that coils are "legal' because they are made by LR. :naughty:
I also said that it is your rig, and do as you please. Your money not mine. :thumb: I try not to tell anyone what to do with their money and property, so long as it isn't dangerous.
I have been there and done it with my eas, so I do feel your pain. I just persevered with it and got it 100% working reliably for way under $1k. Lots of research and Dennis' help fixed most of my issues.
The system is a simple one once you get to grips with it though, it is just air after all. The electronics can get frustrating, but mostly it is air leaks that lead to the electronics freaking out. I have rebuilt my valve block, installed all new air bags, and scored a used compressor and bits n pieces. Not one time have the electronics caused me headaches, as the faults always came from elsewhere, causing the ecm to freak out.
I am glad your is sorted though mate. Is it riding low in the rear or not then? It sounded like it was sitting 3' lower in the rear compared to the front on your previous post.
I am very glad you are once again in love (or lust?) with your Rover :thumb:

Martin

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
My 02.:

The EAS has been discussed to death. To the point that I don't think we have had a 'fresh-unheard of' issue raised for a very long time.

I am sorry that you didn't get the responses to your threads, you needed to keep you on air. But:

Like many others, I normally spend many a long night reading up on old threads on whichever problem I am trying to resolve (and usually find the answers).

I do enjoy occasionally being spoonfed, but appreciate that a new thread on an already well documented subject may not get the same responses and help required to resolve the problem.

Had you spent a little more time even reading up on coils, you would know, that it is a 'given' to illicit the sort of responses you have just received.

JFo said:
I purchased a legitimate product, which has been used for years, without any apparent downside other than making the vehicle non stock, and in my case... BETTER.
You would also know, that I do not normally 'chip in' until whoever it is that has just converted to coils, proceeds to tell the rest of us that their shiny new coils are some kind of upgrade or enhancement :naughty:

Feel free to keep telling that to yourself, just don't expect the rest of us to believe that 4 bits of coiled metal are better than a highly sophisticated airbag suspension system.

rrtoadhall said:
so you can purchase a proper spring kit.
:shock: Carl - Does the phrase 'Wash your mouth out with soap' mean the same thing over on your side of the pond? :think:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
Ka177ran said:
rrtoadhall said:
so you can purchase a proper spring kit.
:shock: Carl - Does the phrase 'Wash your mouth out with soap' mean the same thing over on your side of the pond? :think:
:lol: It usuallly comes after a string of four letter words.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes Kamran, I see you would not NORMALLY chip in... Spoon fed, has a presumption that I didn't do enough of my homework, and thus the issue that I personally am having is something that clearly should have been fixed by my spending more of my precious (two weeks of reading is apparently not enough) time reading on the issue...

The EAS is an extremely simple system, but without the resources such as a lift, I personally, was only able to go so far.... One would assume that the replacement of parts from used to new, would, or should have fixed the issue... I'm not sure what more I could have done...

Again, people like to comment on this situation now, but when I was asking for assistance, in the several posts that I made, those that seem to care that I converted to springs, didn't seem to give a **** that I had an issue...

This is a forum that has provided many people with great advice (me included), and experiences...

In this particular instance, this community, and thread... let me down.

I have had nothing but frustration with this situation. I suggest that you vent your frustration to those who deserve it...

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Game on.... :lol:
I for one do not get on each and every night, and as already said, if a topic has been beat to death I am unlikely to post a reply myself.
I am sorry that you feel let down by this forum, I can promise you that you are a minority on that point.
I also do not have a lift etc. I have a pretty well equipped shop, but no lift here.
I just hope YOU are happy with YOUR purchase.

Martin

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.