RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer says my control arm bushings need replacement at 68,000 miles. 2013 RRS purchase with 53,000 miles with Factory Certified Warranty. Shouldn't the Control Arm Bushings have been replaced under the Warranty? Seems like Bushings should have been replaced when car was Certified at 53,000 miles. Is it typical for RRS Control Arm Bushings to wear out at 53,000 miles.....or even 68,000?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Super common for the front suspension lower control arm rear bushing to be faulty. Easy test is to drive about 15-20 mph and tap the brake pedal. If you get a clunking then the arm is shifting and its time for bushings. Not unheard of at that mileage. Mine were failed about the same mileage on the 2013.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 06 needed them when I got it, went with the orange polybush ones, 5 months later, still glad I did it, it was a pain to do, but it can be done in a driveway if you have a ball joint press. Polybush oranges ones seem to ride good, and supposedly last a lot longer than the rubber ones.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Dealer says my control arm bushings need replacement at 68,000 miles. 2013 RRS purchase with 53,000 miles with Factory Certified Warranty. Shouldn't the Control Arm Bushings have been replaced under the Warranty? Seems like Bushings should have been replaced when car was Certified at 53,000 miles. Is it typical for RRS Control Arm Bushings to wear out at 53,000 miles.....or even 68,000?
How much did the dealer charge you if you don’t mind me asking.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
39 Posts
Bumping whatshisface. Techs like to replace the the arms/bushings as an assembled kit, whether dealer or indy shop. Orange poly is a good way to go though. A search of the forum for Polybush indicates that most owners are very happy with the longevity associated with Polybush. Ride comfort reviews seem to be 50/50 with some saying it's a harsher ride and others saying there's no difference. Lucky 8 appears to sell a kit, although you might want to call and confirm compatibility as their site is a little hinky on LR4 vs Range Rover Sport in the description.

https://www.lucky8llc.com/collections/front-control-arms-11/products/range-rover-sport-front-polybush-lower-control-arm-kit-w-hardware

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
408 Posts
I am in same exact situation. Bought a 2013 RRS with 58K with CPO. Soon learned that any rubber wearable, yes including the suspension airbags = struts, are not covered.
They would cover the arm if it becomes faulty, lets say if a welding seem develops a crack or something in that nature but not the wearable bushing. I had just ordered front Toe rods ends, Front Control Arms, front struts from UK, genuine sway bar links from Ebay, had my indy throw all that in, about $600-700 in labor, don't remember exact amount but that included alignment on the "Hunter" stand and that it. There was no air leak but handling was finicky, when we replaced struts, it became obvious why - oil started leaking out once right side strut was on the floor. The shock itself was faulty but it is impossible to see since it was spewing oil inside the airbag. I plan on replacing rear struts in nearest future, they're more expensive - like $700ea, front ones were $500ea so I will have to set some money aside.Also, I am sure your mechanic will back me up - if you order your own LCA, please order hardware kit for it - new nuts and bolts, if this is the first time replacement, there is a high probability that old arm would have to be cut-off due to old connection bolt ceased to the busing itself and it can not be removed other wise. same goes for bushing - please consider that if you decide to just replace rear bushing of the arm - taking it off could be impossible. LCA's are like $180 for the whole thing with new bushings and ball joint - so you know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bumping whatshisface. Techs like to replace the the arms/bushings as an assembled kit, whether dealer or indy shop. Orange poly is a good way to go though. A search of the forum for Polybush indicates that most owners are very happy with the longevity associated with Polybush. Ride comfort reviews seem to be 50/50 with some saying it's a harsher ride and others saying there's no difference. Lucky 8 appears to sell a kit, although you might want to call and confirm compatibility as their site is a little hinky on LR4 vs Range Rover Sport in the description.

https://www.lucky8llc.com/collections/front-control-arms-11/products/range-rover-sport-front-polybush-lower-control-arm-kit-w-hardware
Thanks!

Here is what I'm looking:

Passenger front strut: $1838.25
Front ACE bar bushings: $477.01
Rear ACE bar bushings: $294.33
Front lower control arms: $1514.84
Alignment after control arms: $139.95
Driver front axle boot: $370.45

I'd like to think the Strut would be something I could address myself, but I haven't dug too deep into it .

·
Registered
408 Posts
That is crazy! Is that from the Dealer?
I have replaced Front Struts, all LCAs, all roll bar links in NOV 2018
Front Struts:
LR052866G.C8LR052866$449.01 2$898.02
Subtotal:$898.02
Shipping Cost:$64.98
Total:$1014.36

Thats LCAs, hardware kit for one pair, other I sourced locally.
LR019978.C8LR019978$121.60 1$121.6
LR019977.C8LR019977$121.60 1$121.6
DA7205.C8DA7205$32.26 2$64.52
LR029301G.C8LR029301$159.57 1$159.57
LR029302G.C8LR029302$175.77 1$175.77
Subtotal:$643.06
Shipping Cost:$155.31
All these were from LRDirect in UK
Labor was about $700 including alignment. and toe rod ends that I ordered somewhere else so they are not on the list.
For $2.5K I refreshed pretty much most of the suspension, less rear struts. Had no air leaks but rather handling issue, RH front strut was faulty and spewing oil in to inside of airbag which I discovered only when we layed it sideways on the floor.

·
Registered
408 Posts
That strut replacement cost is outrages. So you know - it is an airline, 3 nuts on top (just 1 very inconvenient) and 1 huge bolt on the bottom, no alignment or other adjustments needed - 1 hr max. You can order even genuine strut for $900 if you want, descent Indy should swap it in an hour or so even at $100 per hr still a lot less.
Are you anywhere near NJ/NY?

·
Registered
5 Posts
That strut replacement cost is outrages. So you know - it is an airline, 3 nuts on top (just 1 very inconvenient) and 1 huge bolt on the bottom, no alignment or other adjustments needed - 1 hr max. You can order even genuine strut for $900 if you want, descent Indy should swap it in an hour or so even at $100 per hr still a lot less.
Are you anywhere near NJ/NY?
Yes, that quote is from a dealership. I will call tomorrow and see if by chance that cost is for both front struts. I too thought it was high.

I watched a couple of videos and it seems very doable, even will my limited tools and workspace.

Are the Arnott struts worth considering, or should I look at others? They seem to have good reviews.. I did see OEM struts from LR are ~$900

https://www.arnottindustries.com/as-2761-arnott-new-front-air-strut-10-13-range-rover-sport-l320-supercharged-only-w-variable-damping-system-vds-left-or-right

Are the quotes for the control arms and ACE bar bushings also way out of line? I'm looking at $4720.67 for timing chain and tension guide job. 2010 RRS SC.

No, I am in the OK/TX/AR area.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I had considered Arnotts at first, they were my first choice for number of reasons:
1) I bought them for my previous 2009 RRS SC and quality of workmanship was amazing, worked excellent too.
2) Made in USA
3) Life time warranty from US Supplier VS 2 Years from UK supplier.
Some components were on B/O so they could mot manufacture any at the time and I waited over the month for them to start a production but even after that long Arnott guys were uncertain about how much longer...

Well, ACE Bar bushings are like $50 or so ea. and good 2-3hrs to replace (considering that rusted bolts and nuts will slow you down), driver side one is kinda pain in the rear. So given that Dealer probably charges $175/hr, no so bad.
Timing is $1100 parts from AB, likely more from the dealer and 9hrs ( I think) labor. So in my opinion it is just a lot of money but about right-ish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts