RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum,

Been lurking a while. This is such a great resource. Thanks for all the good information.

I sent my 08 RRS HSE in for 75k service and brakes to the indy shop and they noted I needed 2 new tires. I have been running the CrossConti UHPs and they seem to run through tread quite fast. The current set has about 20k miles on them (3 of them installed 10/2012, 1 in 12/13). This is the second set that have worn down quite quickly. As you can see, I don't put many miles on her but these tires seem to be quite sensitive.

For those that run these tires, are you getting more than 20k miles out of them? When I get the car back I'll double check the wear myself and if its time for replacement, I will certainly be choosing another tire. I saw the post and checked tirerack and they still have those Pirelli Scorpian Verdes on closeout so I will likely just get a set of those vs. $300 continentals that need to be replaced every year.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Hello and welcome jwag1200. As far as wear goes, check the treadwear rating on the side of the tire...not sure what those are but higher is better. Or perhaps you have an alignment problem. Improper toe settings will wear a tire faster than Brimills RRS can go on a deserted PA highway(that's quite fast btw).

I see you live in the United States. If you encounter slippery conditions on occasion may I suggest the Continental DWS? I have been able to coax 35-40K on these. But I drive like a grandmother.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the prompt reply. The wear has been even and the dealership did the 4 wheel alignment when the last set of tires were put on 20k miles ago.

I do mostly local driving. Work from home so not even a daily driver (thus only 20k miles since 10/2012). Not an aggressive driver (at least I don't think so, the wife may disagree). It just seems odd that I am chewing through rubber like that.

The wife's MB ML320 has had the same set of bridgestones for 2 sets of Conti's.

I would not even mind putting more aggressive off-road tires on it.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
I pushed my cross contacts to 20k. Actually needed replaced around 18k.

I have put around 5 k miles on the conti dws and have been very pleased so far. Haven't gotten a tread gauge out to see how much I have scrubbed off yet. I would assume at a glance I should see a solid 30k out of these without issue.

If you want to check out my review on them here

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-range-rover-sport-l320/109090-conti-dws-275-40-20-review-0-160-mph.html

I got them thru discount tire with protection plan and tpms rebuild kits around 1200 shipped.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
For your driving I would skip the more aggressive offroad tire idea. Too many compromises on the street (noise, squirmier handling etc.) Btw, they all sound fine when they are new..its 20K later. I'm sure there are other tires that would wear better than the ones you have. Besides Brimills review on the DWS do a search in here for other tire brand opinions. I will only say my next set of tires will be the DWS again, but YMMV.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
273 Posts
The Conti UHP is a summer rated high-performance tire; hence, the tread compound sacrifices treadlife for outright grip. As Goosey and Bruimill state move to an all-season with a higher treadwear rating if you value longevity over outright grip.

Honestly, I think putting Summer UHP's on a 5,500lb truck is crazy - Land Rover must have kickback deals with the tire manufacturers...........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts