Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I sit here enjoying a porter on the deck looking at the rover in the backyard I figured I would do a quick review on the first 1000 miles on DWS on a 13 sport. With all speed and ranges covered. I am far away from snow, although from others performance is nice and above most other all seasons in the price range.

I got them from discount tire at 260 each delivered and added their warranty and tpms rebuilds that they threw in for free. Took a week as there were no sets on the east coast and they came from Arizona to Pennsylvania.

The first 50-75 miles I wanted new tires immediately. They had a spongy greasy feel with big sidewall wobble feeling to them. I drove somewhat casual nothing crazy as it felt like I was going to get speed wobbles and lose it in a bend.

100-500 miles you could actually feel them breaking in. The grip started to increase and sidewall flex subsided drastically. They are definitely a hard tire and give much more road feedback than the cross contact that came from factory. I will let that slide going from a tread wear of 420 and lasting 19,500 to a 540 tread wear. I do notice a slight shimmy at the 75-80 range though I think it might be rotor wear as brakes are next.

500-1000. I have put them thru every test except snow and they are a exceptional tire. I waited to test the speed rating on them and they held together maxed out at 167 with a good breeze and slight downhill grade. Friend with a ferrari clocked along side me to get a good mph reading. They held strong with no worries. I didn't feel the 104-125 shake that the contis were giving me that I thought was axle balance.

Had some crazy downpours and they are a good wet tire. Held nice thru .5" covering with a good splash out and little planing at highway speed.

It also took very little weight to balance them out. I noted weight from factory and the DWS took less weight on every wheel which could just be a good mount lining sensor up across from heavy spot.

All in all these are a great tire. Going from the cross contact uhp to these is a nice transfer. Very quiet great ride and just a touch more wheel feedback from road due to compound. Handling and performance are comparable and from a performance stand point almost indifferent.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
So they should be ok for mere mortals?

What else you will like is they last for a while...~30K on mine and I should get 40-45K.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So they should be ok for mere mortals?

What else you will like is they last for a while...~30K on mine and I should get 40-45K.
Yeah. The typical mall speed limit is 25 so everyone else should be fine.

I am taking a serious off road trip in June and will see how they do. Going to hit the wilds in Colimbus and then go to southington above Youngstown. It's a lot of silly jeeps and I will be the crazy guy with too much money ripping thru the trails. (They don't know I can repaint it afterwards).

The longevity is what I will test next. I am hoping for 30, although I drive hard and western pa has about 3 miles of straight road. I shredded the stocks in about 18,500. Pushed them to bologna skins at 20k.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,990 Posts
That's good to hear. My 2013 is still in break in mode or so I think. That would be my next tire.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
436 Posts
Try to keep the speed below 167 on the trails:)

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
The DWS is a great tire, but I have had issues with them after some age. Keep your alignment true, and rotate and balance them often, all those open tread blocks like to cup and start making noise if the wear starts to get uneven.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,990 Posts
What's the speed rating for these tires? 155 mph which is the top speed of the 13 RRS HSE?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
The DWS is a great tire, but I have had issues with them after some age.
At what age?

Mine have 30K+ on them with no noise issues/wear issues at all. 4th set of tires on my rig and these have been the best of the lot.

The only issue I notice is the "S" part gets less "S" after 10-15K, but Conti states that. And I would not suggest using them as a snow.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
I've had these start to make noise around 15-20k on them, but it has always been with no rotations, and usually a few adjustments needed to get the alignment into spec at that point, so not the tire at fault.

It might be the roads around here, but generally speaking, I find these trucks to need alignment adjustments at least once a year(many even every few months) which in turn leads me to favor more forgiving tires.

If your tires are wearing evenly and smoothly, then these are a good choice.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Your roads in N VA are much better than metro NYC, trust me. :wink:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just got back from dealer and I have 25,000 miles on my Hankooks (apparently not the best tire)...however, they did a road force test and told me all 4 tires failed and I need to replace them all. Tread wear is normal and depth is above 7/32". I don't understand how I could need four new tires. Can someone help me and explain what "poundage" and the specs mean on the road force? Those of us who just love the vehicle and try and maintain/understand them hear we need new tires and freak out because they have such low mileage on them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts