RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know about the extreme contact version of the conti's?? i was looking at tire rack site and they r rated either 1st or 2nd in their category and way better than factory cross contacts.

appreciate ur comments...... :)

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
I think most members stay away from conti's after the original bad experience with the cross contacts. I see that tire rack lists this tire only under the passenger car section, but the size and load rating is available for the RRS 19".

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
472 Posts
One thing I can tell you about per my MB 300C - I put the Conti DWS tires on it for winter and while they are great for traction in all conditions they are more noisy than the stock Conti's that were OE tires....the noise level is not horifying but a nuisance....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for ur replies.

frisco , i again looked up the extreme contact conti's on tire rack site and it describes it as ultra high performance all season tire made for sports cars,sports coups, performance sedans and sport trucks and it is actually rated #1 in their survey if u look in the survey section.

what kind of problems did the previous owners experience with these tires :?: :think:

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
aljus said:
thank you for ur replies.

frisco , i again looked up the extreme contact conti's on tire rack site and it describes it as ultra high performance all season tire made for sports cars,sports coups, performance sedans and sport trucks and it is actually rated #1 in their survey if u look in the survey section.

what kind of problems did the previous owners experience with these tires :?: :think:
If you mean what kind of problems with the cross contacts (OE tires), most are complaining about the tread life (low mileage) and noise. Though I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's really just the noise towards the end of the tire life that is bothering people which is pretty typical of any tire. In my experience, every time I get new tires (if they are at least of a comparable type) the road noise goes down really because of the age of the old tires. Same thing happens when I even get the exact same tires as replacements - noise goes down.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,014 Posts
Also, for unknown reasons Land Rover decided to fit the car with summer tires as stock equipment, so not surprisingly owners have been complaining almost from the beginning about the Conti CrossContact's (and SportContact for those with 20" factory rims) poor performance in winter weather. Personally, in addition to finding them quite noisy and not especially comfortable, I also thought the sidewall of the Conti OEMs was way too delicate: I lost quite a few chunks of it when I lightly brushed them against a couple of curbs in the first few months of ownership.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
260 Posts
umbertob said:
I also thought the sidewall of the Conti OEMs was way too delicate: I lost quite a few chunks of it when I lightly brushed them against a couple of curbs in the first few months of ownership.
Wheels and tires touching curbs = no no. The sound is horrific and tears me up inside just thinking about it, kinda like watching slow motion sports injury replays...
:crybaby2:

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
The Cross Contacts - I don't think the handling is in par with another tire in the same price range. It dd not take long for the road noise to creep in and did wear out much faster in my opinion. Also, since its a summer tire, even if you don't get much snow, during the cold months, the tire handling is poor - I guess due to the compound hardening up

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hello frisco, i dont think cross contacts r as good a tire for our trucks as the extreme contact is. i will be purchasing a set of extreme contacts for my rrs within days. i will let u know about them.

go to tire rack site and look up the survey on the EXTREME CONTACTS not the cross contacts.......... :|

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,014 Posts
TriGem2k said:
Wheels and tires touching curbs = no no.
Of course, my wife did it.

:oops:

OK, I did that - several times. :oops: :oops: But I never even came close to rubbing the alloys - I could not even tell the tires were brushing the curb, to be honest. And yet, I'd find chunks of rubber from the sidewalls missing.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
umbertob - do you think you may be still hitting the curb, but since you have better tires it goes unnoticed :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
good one frisco.........good point...lol

by the way did u have time to look in tire rack survey for cnti exreme contacts?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts