RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that I am almost always making tiny steering corrections on the highway to keep the car tracking where I want it to track. I don't know if it is more susceptible to cross-winds than the last generation or if there is something about the front suspension that makes it wander. It is almost like I can feel weight shifting from side to side very slightly. It made what should have been a nice drive up the turnpike from Atlantic City somewhat more tiring than it needed to be. Has anyone else felt this? Just made me wonder how a Cayenne Turbo would have been on this same drive. I do not believe that it is an alignment issue because the car doesn't pull to the right or the left constantly. It is just a little imprecise.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
178 Posts
My wife mentioned the same thing and now I notice it too... Would love to find the solution, can anybody help here?

·
Registered
69 Posts
hit any bumps or curbs? if the caster is out or the toe-in, you could get random weaving. tire wear could also contribute, as well as worn control arm bushings

·
Registered
748 Posts
There is something wrong with your steering, suspension,or tires. That is not normal for this car. Mine requires no corrections at all.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I mentioned uneven tire wear you can clearly see in the "clunking suspension" thread. Check the outside of the front tire. Mine you could even see by just looking the wheel was seems a bit off perpendicular. I "think" this got corrected last they changed my sway bar and bushing. Reason I don't know for sure is while I can't see it obviously, I can't tell if the tire has more wear than before or just the same due to fact its already uneven and I have low miles. Second reason is because it still clunks, but I don't feel like I need to excessively correct more than I have to in my other car. I am only guessing here but maybe its connected to the suspension.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Our HSE was a demo (well not really, it only had 90 miles on it) as during our initial test drive - the salesman took us through the Land Rover on-site off-road rock course in it. Two weeks later we returned and bought the vehicle. After about a month, my wife noticed it was pulling to the left on the freeway. We took it back to the dealer and the alignment was off - I suspect from all the demo rides given before we purchased it. Anyway the alignment fixed it right up - no more pulling to the left. I know the OP is saying his Rover is a wanderer, not a puller - but nonetheless wanted to share our "fix".

·
LEGACY VENDOR
178 Posts
Mines got 500 miles on it, never hit anything. It isn't pulling just seems like I'm always correcting like the OP. I'll ask dealer trip in...

·
Registered
263 Posts
What are your wheel dimensions? Wide and low profile tyres are much more sensitive to uneven road surfaces or if the road is inclining to the left or right. On my last E-class I had 245/40/R18 front wheels and as the car before had 225/55/R16 it was a huge change and I was convinced something was wrong, eg the camber, so I had the garage do a complete check-up, but everything turned out to be in perfect order.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,560 Posts
Some road surfaces have grooves cut in the direction of travel which will affect a vehicles tracking.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeah i experienced something similar and my friends are telling me it is because I am using 22's. Same thing happened to my friends panamera using 21's (very wide)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it wasn't windy my car can continue to hold its lane for probably 700-1000m. Check your tires pressure.
The tire pressure was perfect on this last trip. I checked and adjusted before we left. I haven't hit anything. I will check the front tires to see if I see any signs of uneven wear. Thanks all.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hit any bumps or curbs? if the caster is out or the toe-in, you could get random weaving. tire wear could also contribute, as well as worn control arm bushings
Nothing that I remember. I will take it in for snows and ask them to check the alignment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got my RRSC and wife said exact same thing now, multiple times. Dropped psi to light load and same wandering and jerkiness still persists. That's about one of the only issues I have with vehicle. I can overcome some other shortfalls but this one I need to work on. My mindset just works that way. Lol.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the same issue here. You always have to correct the steering. On top of that my steering vibrates above 60 mph.

2015 RRS v8

·
Registered
1 Posts
My RRS V6 is only 3 months old with only 2k miles. I have to constantly do steering correction at highway speeds. It's so bad that sometimes I find it hard to keep it in its lane. It's so tiring driving this way. Tire pressures are ok. Don't think alignment is out as it doesn't really do this in city driving. I have 22 inch wheels. I hate driving this vehicle now. I used to love my 2012. I didn't have this problem with the 2012. I called my service advisor who told me it's the 22's. Horrible.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Reduce the tire pressure a bit and that will help. Also when you are fully loaded up in the cargo area it will make the front end lighter so it'll be worse then as well. This doesn't help you but I have found that when I turn on the dynamic driving the steering tightens up so it is controlled electronically but I'm not sure there is much you (or service dept) can do about it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Same problem on my car, on a longer trip your arms start to feel it. My dads an engineer and he thinks its the electric power steering ( same on his car) which is always putting input either left or right. First car iv'e had with electric power steering.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My RRS V6 is only 3 months old with only 2k miles. I have to constantly do steering correction at highway speeds. It's so bad that sometimes I find it hard to keep it in its lane. It's so tiring driving this way. Tire pressures are ok. Don't think alignment is out as it doesn't really do this in city driving. I have 22 inch wheels. I hate driving this vehicle now. I used to love my 2012. I didn't have this problem with the 2012. I called my service advisor who told me it's the 22's. Horrible.
Guess it wasn't just me. Even after an alignment it was still wandering. I loved the way my 2010 felt on the highway. My 2014 RRS, not so much. I finally got out of the lease for the RRS and got a Cayenne Turbo S. Night and day difference in steering.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts