RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 4.0 SE with 164000 that I saved from the scrap yard here a few years back and due to not being able to get the title until last week I am just now starting to work on it. As of right now I have replaced the battery, pulled the in tank fuel pump and drained all fuel, installed new fuel pump, replaced plugs and wires. I am getting good spark to all plugs but from the moment I start it it has had a bad misfire. standing behind it sounds like it has atleast one cyl not doing anything. I put the code reader on and it came up with 02 sensor and 3 misfires, cyl 2 7 and I don't remember the other. On cyl 2 while running I can pull the spark plug boot off and it doesn't change how the engine runs at all. I have done that with all the plugs on passenger side and all but cyl 2 make a notable difference. haven't done to drivers side yet. I checked the resistance on all 8 injectors and all were within .2 of each other. If I remember right they were all between 16.3-16.5ish. I know that doesn't mean that they aren't plugged up. I plan on doing a compression test here probably this weekend. I went to do it yesterday but when I lent it out I didn't get any of my adapters back with it. after that possibly pull the valve covers to throw a dial indicator on the rockers to check and make sure the cam isn't worn out. Any help on what steps or suggestions I should do would be much appreciated. I am very mechanically incline with plenty of schooling in everything from large refrigeration systems to diesel engines all in marine industry though.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It could possible be an broken rockershaft. Its a common problem at that mileage, If they not have been changed before.
You will see as soon as you pull the rocker covers..

Best regards Brage

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no noise coming from the valve cover though. If that were the case I would think that it would be pretty noticeable. When I finally got the title from the person I was able to ask a few questions about it and she told me that it was running perfect when the fuel pump went out and she brought it to scrap. I just cant believe that she wanted to scrap this thing. The body is straight and the interior is perfect. The only minor things that are wrong with it is a cracked drivers side headlight the headliner is drooping in a spot due to me not realizing the sun roof wasn't shut all the way and clear coat is starting to peal on the hood due to me leaving it in direct sun for a few years.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
If there's no noise from the rocker gear I wouldn't bother taking the covers off. The O2 error will be because of the misfire anyway. If you have a decent spark at number 2 it is unlikely that it is a faulty plug or HT lead but it could well be an injector clogged with gloop from where the petrol evaporated leaving residue behind it. It may even be injectors that are stuck shut or sticking to give you lumpy running. Even on 6 cylinders they still pull reasonably well (I drove my 4.0SE 100 miles home after buying it with it only running on 6 cylinders) even if the idle is a bit lumpy. You could try putting some injector cleaner in it and running it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have injector cleaner in it now and it has made no change. I have about a half tank thru it right now. I am going to fill it up after work and mix a stronger batch and see if that does anything. This coming weekend I will do a compression test then pull the injectors. I have put about 150 miles on it so far this week just seeing if it would clean up and it has in other areas just not the misfire. If the injectors do look bad when I pull them I will go ahead and buy a few to replace the worst ones. So far Im really liking this thing even with it not running right. Its way more comfortable then my superduty on 38" tires running across the ferry and into the city everyday!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update yesterday I mixed a nother batch of fuel with a strong dose of injector cleaner. I drove it alittle last night and no noticeable change. This morning I basically beat on the thing the whole way to work and it has cleaned up a lot, it has a ton more power but still sounds like it has one completely dead cyl. I haven't pulled the spark plug boots off to see if cyl #2 has started working yet but it deffenitly feels like a v8 now. I started really listening to the exhaust this mornining when I was warming it up and it sounds like its too loud of a "misfire" in the exhaust. Is there a good way to test the cats on these things with out pulling the exhaust? What kind of problems do you run into if the cats were removed? I do not live in an area where they require emission testing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another update. This weekend I did a compression test and all cyl were between 175 and 180psi except #3 that one was at 165psi. That could have been the o-ring on my compression tester though. I got a set of injectors and swapped just #2 and it runs ALOT better now. It still isn't absolutely perfect but it feels and sounds a lot closer to what it should. There is still a slight miss to it and I will go clear all the codes then figure out what other misfire codes come back up. I know #7 and there is one other I jut cant remember what it was but I will go ahead and swap those ones out this week seeing how I still have 7 more "spare" injectors. I am very happy with this thing. Now I just need to find a stereo for it because the screen is broken and the unit doesn't work just lights up with no error light. I also have to figure out why the door locks randomly lock and unlock while driving and when parked.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
I also have to figure out why the door locks randomly lock and unlock while driving and when parked.
Dodgy microswitches in the door latches. See the sticky on how to test them.

Glad you're getting somewhere with the misfire though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was really concerned about what was causing it seeing how I got this thing basically for free right before they were going to rip it apart with the log loader to throw it in a scrap bin. I went to the junk yard this weekend to see if they had one that I could rob parts off and they had a 97 there that was rolled so I pulled the injectors out of it. When I was looking thru it after I got all of them out I found the work order for brand new injectors with the mileage on the ticket. It turns out there was just under 300 miles on those injectors so I think I got a real good deal at $80 for all 8 and fuel rail. I will start looking into finding a used stock stereo for it and work on getting the door locks fixed now that I know its not something major. This is the cheapest vehicle I have ever owned and it is by far the most comfortable. Cheapest meaning the cost I paid for it. I plan on having this thing for along time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am half way there already. I haven't even start my truck in 2 weeks now I have just been driving the rover every day. One tire on my truck cost twice as much as I have into this thing. Now that its running alright my wife wants to steal it from me and make me drive her ford escape. I don't think she is going to win that battle!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haven't post on this for awhile now. Since my last post I have swapped 4 more injectors out trying to figure out what other ones were bad and one of the 4 solved the problem completely. My stock muffler had the baffles come loose in it so it made this thing sound haggard about 3 days after I got it running perfect. This past weekend I cut all the exhaust from the flange where the cats are and bent up and weld in the 2 1/2" pipe and also installed a flow master muffler and it sounds like it should now. At least in my opinion it does. I know most here like to keep these stock but I did basically get this for free and I already had a bender the pipe and a muffler so I figured keep on going with keeping this thing cheap. Anyone on here ever fixed peeling clear coat? I need to fix my hood and the roof of my car. I have all the proper body tools and a booth I can use but I don't really have the time to be able to pull it into the shop and sand it down completely, prime paint then clear it. anyone on here fixed it an easier/quicker way that still looks decent?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hey all I could do for the corner of my hood for now is a wetsand of the edge of the clear with 3000 grit and wax it. Helped a bit.
I had to stop body and go to ujoints(grease all right away).
As for the stereo I wrote up a way to reuse the harmon cardone amp and speaker system(whatever it is) if your speakers are in good
condition still. if you have it.
Good Luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts