RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having trouble with the valve cover gaskets leaking / seeping oil mainly on the driver side valve cover even after replacing them with new gaskets and valve cover nut grommets. I originally used victor reinz gaskets and grommets and after I noticed that the driver side was leaking I replaced the driver side valve cover gasket and grommets with Elring brand. After about 30 miles and re-inspecting I found that the valve cover gasket was still leaking and maybe even worse than before. I found a tip on a BMW message forum to install extra spring washers on top of the original nut washers so that the valve covers can be tightened down with more clamping force than with just the original nut washers. This has helped very well but after about 100 - 150 miles or so I have noticed that it has started to seep just a little bit still. Has anyone else experienced trouble with these valve cover gaskets leaking even with new gaskets? I should mention that the PCV valve, breather hoses and oil separator were replaced when I did the timing chain service not long ago.

Thanks!

- Joel
2005 Range Rover HSE 4.4

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
42 Posts
Re: m62 consistently leaking valve cover gasket even with ne

Where from?
they do have a tendency to leak at the back close to the firewall. There are 2 half moons in that area and the leak develops at the corners of the half moon. Should use reinz sealer 1 drop on each corner.
If not in that area, the check for clean, debris free surface before you put the new gaskets. Then torque to 10 Nm in correct sequence starting from middle bolt zigzag outwards. If they are over or under torqued, they will leak.
the extra spring washer only messes up the torque, shouldn't use it.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts

Slather top and bottom of the gasket with Permatex Ultra black. Put some on the actual head on the half moons as Perrier said.

The M62tu is a leaky motor, it appreciates the extra RTV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
346 Posts

I had the same issue. I think many of the grommets being supplied are too thin and actually bottom out before hitting 10nm of torque. Like you I added a washer and because the valve covers are apparently magnesium the paint flakes up and makes sealing more difficult. I resorted to carefully applying a small layer of silicon on each grommet (after cleaning the valve cover of any oil) and then placing the grommet in place with a washer then the nut with a dot of blue loctite. This has worked for me.

I don't think it will impact the torque in any meaningful way - actually I think the exact opposite. One is still applying 10nm to the rubber grommet but the added washer is making sure the grommet actually compresses. A small dab of loctite blue will make sure it doesn't back out (this alone could be the issue).

This has worked for me. I also tried sourcing other grommets with no luck, but I must admit I never tried OEM BMW (or RR) from the dealer. This may be the ideal solution. As it has been working I have not tried my next planned approach, adding a rubber washer to the mix.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Where from?
they do have a tendency to leak at the back close to the firewall. There are 2 half moons in that area and the leak develops at the corners of the half moon. Should use reinz sealer 1 drop on each corner.
If not in that area, the check for clean, debris free surface before you put the new gaskets. Then torque to 10 Nm in correct sequence starting from middle bolt zigzag outwards. If they are over or under torqued, they will leak.
the extra spring washer only messes up the torque, shouldn't use it.
It is just seeping along the side of the valve cover. Not at the half moon seals or where the valve cover meets the front upper timing cover. I put sealant in those areas and they are dry. The extra spring washers have helped drastically compared to without them. The channel that the valve cover gasket sits in isn't completely smooth but doesn't have any major debris or left over gasket material, i did scrape them out and cleaned with brake clean before installing the new gaskets. A torque wrench was used at 10 NM following the correct sequence both times that I installed the valve cover. If it gets bad enough I might just replace the valve cover and use genuine BMW gaskets and grommets but would like to hear if anyone else has ran into this.

·
Registered
346 Posts

Yes - I had the exact same issue. I even had my valve covers powder coated, but that only worked until I took the covers off and the coating flaked off. I managed the leaks doing exactly what you are doing. Adding silicon to the valve cover grooves.

My BMW tech friend told me the only real solution is to pony up the monster dollars to buy new valve covers and use OEM grommets. We are talking around $600-800. Try fighting through it - your approach has worked for me - just add some loctite blue.

·
Registered
521 Posts

Slather top and bottom of the gasket with Permatex Ultra black. Put some on the actual head on the half moons as Perrier said.

The M62tu is a leaky motor, it appreciates the extra RTV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
SO are you putting the RTV around the complete rubber gasket, on both sides, (which would cover the half-moon area on the gasket) then adding more to the head surface, which would also cover the half-moon area on the head???

I'm getting leaks as well, and going to redo before I sell....

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
73 Posts

are you 100% sure these valve covers are made out of metal? I had a very similar issue on my Audi S8 and the valve covers appeared to be metal but they were actually a heavy plastic painted to look metal. After all the heat cycles over the years, one of the valve covers started to warp at one of the corners and even with brand new gaskets it would never seal properly again no matter what. The only way to fix it was a new valve cover.

·
Registered
346 Posts

The M62 valve covers are made of a magnesium alloy. They are a mess. Looking on eBay I see new prices ranging from the around $350-450ish per side.

Here is a guy who cleaned and painted his (also describes the issues with the paint flaking): http://solowrenching.com/Home/Post/410/How-To-Repaint-BMW-M62-E39-540-Valve-Covers

As stated in my prior post I had mine powder coated in an effort to rid myself of the issue. After about 10k miles and a few removals I noted powder coat pieces coming off on the bottom grove/channel where the valve cover gasket sits and at the places where the securing bolts fasten. From these nice places I developed leaks. Generous or strategically and well applied RTV appears to be the solution (plus loctite and added washers).

Originally I looked into painting, but the learnings all seemed to state that oil will always be there regardless and the cure is temporary. Some posters claimed to have long term success (all relative, I assume, as whether further valve cover removal was necessary) while others admitted defeat. Some powder coat shops claim 100% guarantee with their magical process (mine an epic fail). Bottom line even new covers are a temporary, although a longer term, fix. The stock M62 valve covers are and were a poor material selection.

Putting it all together, pick your solution and work through it with said information in mind. Me, looking back, I would have cleaned it up myself per the linked article, and use strategic RTV, washers and blue loctite.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

I would suggest that you remove the covers and have them powder coated make sure to have the shop also grit blast the gasket grooves as this will restore the surface so it will seal properly
I would also suggest that if your using any type of silicone sealant you use a product called dreibond 1202 its a BMW approved sealant that actually seals better in the presences of oil.

Its also possible that your PVC plate is clogged or otherwise damaged and thus pressurizing the crankcase.
This is your clue that the PVC plate has failed leaking cam covers

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks for all the replies! i will just leave it alone for now as the extra washers have helped a good bit turning it from a leak to just minor seepage. Mrmerlin - the PCV plate was replaced as a preventative measure about 5,000 miles ago using an OEM Kayser part. Thanks for the response and recommendations!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts