RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ciao ragazi sono nuovo del forum, sono intenzionato a comperare una range 2500 disel automatica della fine anni 90" primi anni 2000" visto la mia ignoranza, mi dareste qualche consiglio al riguardo.....intendo ad esempio le sospensioni,il motore ecc...ecc... insomma cosa dovrei guardare quando vado a visionarne una che potrebbe interessarmi ....per cercare di arginare in quanto possibile i danni data la ia ignoranza ......cioe'cercare di portare a casa una macchina con meno problemi possibili ....grazie ragazzi

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Used Google translate on your message and you will need to do the same on my reply. Other than the engine, you need to check the same things as on any other P38, air suspension working correctly, two working key fobs, no book symbol on the heater display and how it drives. Does everything work? The engine is the BMW unit, the same as fitted to the 525d. Main problem with them is when the timing chain stretches it causes problems with starting when hot. So take it for a test drive, get the engine nice and hot and then try restarting. If it starts up immediately, it is fine.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,410 Posts
Hello,
The hot start problem due to stretched timing chains is easy to fix without spending money. It just involves advancing the timing a bit to compensate.

One of the bigger problems with the diesel is a cracked head. If the previous owner has not kept a close eye on the coolant level the head may crack.
Check the coolant level for bubbles or oil. It should be nice and clean.

Do not buy the car unless you are going to work on it yourself. Taking it to a garage would be very expensive.
Finding a mechanic locally who knows about p38 Range Rovers would be next to impossible I suspect, unless there is a Landrover dealer nearby.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
49 Posts
Cioè uno arriva in un forum americano tutto in inglese e scrive in italiano :giggle::p

Benvenuto Loris, non ho molto da aggiungere se non che mi hai fatto ridere. Se vuoi una P38 dovrai comunque avere amico un meccanico, non sono macchine affidabilissime. Probabilmente il motore è la parte meno delicata.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ciao Loris, ciao Tex
I'm glad to hear there are more italians here...i guess it is because here we can find better info without all that crap you usually have to deal with in our forums 😂.
I'm in the same kind of trouble, looking for a P38 in 2020... i guess we like to make our lives difficult 😂

1 - 6 of 6 Posts