RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, this isn't my first time on here.. But is my first post.
I'm thinking about buying a 04 or an 05 Range Rover HSE (I have a price limit and I haven't seen any 06's in my price range).

I'm a 17 year old high school student which means this would be a daily driver, planning to do no offroading. I'm trying to get one with under 70,000 miles (seen a couple).
Not a single person in my family has ever owned a beautiful Range Rover, so my parents and I are kinda reluctant.

What I'm asking is, tell me about your good stories.. and your bad.
Tell me about how reliable it is.. and tell me about how it isn't.
Tell me about how many compliments and stares you get while driving, how you feel when you wake up & walk into your garage to see your RR staring back at you.

Honestly, I've read most of the problems RR's have, I'm willing to take that risk. I'm just afraid I might get fed up with it, REAL QUICK, considering I'm a high school-er who's always on the go. Plus, I'm afraid some shop costs might make my dad go insane.

Just tell me what it's like to own a Range Rover. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts
Honestly, if you don't want to burden your parents with the maintenance cost on a Range Rover then you should stay away from owning one for these vehicles. I know it would be really cool to drive a Range Rover at age 17 but I don't think anyone at that age would have the patience to deal with the maintenance that comes with these vehicles. Therefore, unless you have an unlimited spending allowance then I would advise you not to purchase a used Range Rover. Even if you get lucky and find a used '04-'05 with an extended warranty then you still have to be able to pay a deductable. You will also be responsible for whatever repairs the extended warranty doesn't cover. On the other hand, if you do decide to go ahead and purchase a Range Rover, you will definately score more than enough cool points when your friends see you driving it. Also, I must say, you do have good taste to be a 17 year old :thumb:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm afraid if I don't get a RR, then I'm always gonna wonder what is it like to own one. But, I'm also afraid if I buy one, it might spend more of its time sitting in the garage, broke down.
There isn't any other full size SUV that looks as good as a Rover. RR is my dream car.

And as for cars, I like the BMW 750Li's.. but here in Oklahoma, we have some preeeeetty bad winters and I need a 4x4.
Mercedes M's (older body style - once again, price limit comes into play /:() are respectable, but have a dated look.
Lexus's don't do anything for me (appeal wise).
An Infiniti FX35 looks nice.. just afraid it's not what I'd like in the long run.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I'm trying to think of a worse car for a teenager in high school and nothing really comes to mind. Maybe a 911 turbo. I'm kind of hoping this is a joke, because if it isn't your parents need their heads examined.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why would it be a terrible car for a teenager?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Okay,I can assure you a RR its may be the coolest car you can drive. I'm 19 and also drive RR. I got the SC MY 06

BUT!! here in Switzerland you get a lot of people looking at you when you're young and drive a car like that.

I dont know how it is with warranty in the states but I got a premium warranty which includs the next service at the dealer. (its expensive but its worth)

If you can fix some stuff by yourself (there are a lot of informations ) you can save a lot. LR Dealer often charges you a fortune

regards
Phil

(I appologize for my english,its may be not the best)

G

·
0 Posts
Champagne tastes with a beer budget.

It always annoys me how kids, (US kids more so than others) sponge of there parents for cars, gas money, insurance etc for things they could never afford by themselves at such young ages.
Pay your dues and get an escourt, blazer or pick up if mommy and daddy have to pay for it. Do the decent thing for a change. Do well in school, get a good job and by your dream RR when YOU can pay for it and say you don't owe anybody for it, because YOU earned it.

Rant off.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
272 Posts
I think an old used RR is about the worst car for a 17 year old. And yes, none of your "friends" will respect your or your car.

I graduated from a very prestigious High School in 1984 - yes I'm old.

Friend A: Worked and saved to buy a Datsun 240z. Spent a year restoring it to perfection. We all respected him and cherished the 240z.
Friend B: Parents gave him a Porsche 911. We all laughed and mocked him - no respect, figured ways to go on joy rides, and basically trash his car. One of us did, and walked away with no remorse (yes he was an ass).

I dated a girl almost solely because she had a Porsche 928. Her father did not like me driving, but who respects a father who gives his 16 year old daughter a supercar?

In 5 years when my oldest son is old enough to drive I plan on going 50% with him on a non-forced induction Subaru. I'll also let him do anything to the suspension, brakes, and exhaust he wants, and contribute 50% of the labor on the mods. Forced Bonding.

·
Registered
405 Posts
These are the same jealous worn out comments about kids with nice cars. What kind of car a kid drives has nothing to do with respect. If they don't have respect and are a punk, they should not be driving any car IMO but if they make good grades and work hard and their parents want to buy them a fairly nice car, be my guest. Friend C: I had a friend who in high school had a then new JPS Lotus Europa and went to a prominent Austin private school. He became a State Rep. at age 19, a successful lawyer and then then a successful lobbyist with a Lamborghini. What is the point? There is no point. A car has nothing to do with a motivated kid or a kid who is a lazy bum.

·
Registered
952 Posts
How are they jealous comments? We all have Ranger Rovers here.

Giving a child a luxury car doesn't mean the kid is an idiot. It means the parents are.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not trying to stir anything up. I'm just here for input on how well people love their RR's or hate them.

I admit, I probably don't deserve a RR. I keep my grades up, I'm nice to my parents, I keep the house clean. I agree with most of you- A 17 shouldn't drive a RR.
But if my parents are 'okay' with buying me one, I'm definitely not gonna stop them!
I'm on here trying to save my parents money if you think about it. I'm looking at all the bugs the cars have, deciding if one is really worth it. Versus buying a different car, with less problems.

I'm not on here asking if I deserve one.

- Still haven't got a response on why a used Rover is the worst car for a 17 year old?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The main issue is cost of maintenance/repair. These trucks are expensive to maintain and repair. Land Rover has one of the lowest reliability ratings and i'm sure that extends a bit to the Range as well (especially for one that has 70k miles on it). That's why the cost of entry for a used Range is relatively low.

But if you/your parents have either the skills and/or funding to maintain the vehicle and/or you don't mind lots of trips to the shop, i say go for it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
A teenagers car should be safe, small, light, economical, slow and reliable. The Range Rover is 1 for 6.

My observation is that teenagers with luxury cars tend to come from aspirational rich families rather than the actual wealthy. They place a lot of value on appearing wealthy, probably have relatively high incomes, but lots of debt. They pass that quality on to their teenage kids, they want instant gratification and the appearance of affluence.

The richest guy I know drives a Ford F-150 King Ranch and his college daughters both drive new Hyundais.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
254 Posts
BMorris said:
I'm not trying to stir anything up. I'm just here for input on how well people love their RR's or hate them.

I admit, I probably don't deserve a RR. I keep my grades up, I'm nice to my parents, I keep the house clean. I agree with most of you- A 17 shouldn't drive a RR.
But if my parents are 'okay' with buying me one, I'm definitely not gonna stop them!
I'm on here trying to save my parents money if you think about it. I'm looking at all the bugs the cars have, deciding if one is really worth it. Versus buying a different car, with less problems.

I'm not on here asking if I deserve one.

- Still haven't got a response on why a used Rover is the worst car for a 17 year old?
You're 17, enough said...get a 1991 County or 1994 LWB, or heck get a 2000 MY RR, I wouldn't recommend a 2004 RR just due to the sheer odd issues that they have. Or get a 2007 3 series BMW something that will require oil changes and nothing major. If you want an SUV get ML320 or a FX35, get a RR when you can either do most of your own maintenance or you can afford not to care when it goes in the shop. I had a 1963 Karmen Ghia when I was 17 that was handed down to me from my Grandparents, not saying you should be like me. I guess it's society today though, do whatever you want bud, soak the "rents" while you can right....

Either way you'll do what you want to do, save them money and look for another car would be my personal opinion. If you buy one though, we'll still talk to you and help you when you need it though LOL seriously you'll still be part of the RR ownership experience regardless of your age. OK I'm done....L8r

·
Registered
254 Posts
remington said:
A teenagers car should be safe, small, light, economical, slow and reliable. The Range Rover is 1 for 6.

My observation is that teenagers with luxury cars tend to come from aspirational rich families rather than the actual wealthy. They place a lot of value on appearing wealthy, probably have relatively high incomes, but lots of debt. They pass that quality on to their teenage kids, they want instant gratification and the appearance of affluence.

The richest guy I know, and I know quite a few, drives a Ford King Ranch and his college daughters both drive new Hyundais.
Remington - I couldn't agree more, it's classic some of the wealthiest people I've met drive a Toyota and the like. BTW when I meet Ty Warner, he was driving a white Camry, now his house....that's a different story

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you are trying to save your parents money, I would look at something else. You may want to sit down with them and/or ask yourself "how much are willing to spend on maintenance and repairs"??? You could buy one and it could never cost you much, then again, it is a Land Rover so the odds are $$$$. I personally don't care if a 17yr old has one or not, it is yours and your parents money. Just promise us one thing DON'T PIMP IT OUT WITH 22's :naughty: If I had a kid I doubt I would buy them one unless money was no concern. I would buy them a 67 Series 2a though.

Good luck on what ever you choose.

·
Registered
254 Posts
MTB said:
If you are trying to save your parents money, I would look at something else. You may want to sit down with them and/or ask yourself "how much are willing to spend on maintenance and repairs"??? You could buy one and it could never cost you much, then again, it is a Land Rover so the odds are $$$$. I personally don't care if a 17yr old has one or not, it is yours and your parents money. Just promise us one thing DON'T PIMP IT OUT WITH 22's :naughty: If I had a kid I doubt I would buy them one unless money was no concern. I would buy them a 67 Series 2a though.

Good luck on what ever you choose.
I would love to have a D90 as a second car, a series 2 would be sick as well though.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
It is a terrible idea for you to get a range rover IMO. Although it would have been cool to have one in high school, so it might be worth the headache.

It's not a question of, "if," it's a question of when... It will break down on you, and the repairs can sometimes be thousands of dollars.

If you tell your parents it might be expensive to repair and they're OK with that, then by all means pick one up! This also assumes you're fine with the car being in the shop here and there. Without question you and your friends will love the car, cute girls will look at you, there is plenty of space in the back. IMO there is no other SUV that compares to a Range Rover, the interior, the ride quality, everything about it is special. I've owned several starting in my early 20's to now 30. That being said, 99% chance you will walk out to it one morning and it won't start. 99% change you will be driving it and a coolant part explodes under the hood steam bellowing, 99% chance you and your friends will come out of a late night movie and the suspension will be totally flat and not functioning.

I'm sure you're aware the car rides on air suspension, you can adjust the height of the car. You high school friends will get a kick out of it, I get a kick out of it. The downside is a single front air strut is $1600 and they will go at some point. The struts can be had for less, but I'm assuming if one does go, you're not fixing it yourself. So you'll pay dealer pricing on basically everything.

Al alternator is over $1000, it will go
Air compressor is over $800 it will go
Water pump, $500+ it'll go
ETC^10

That does not even include labor, I just had an alignment done which needs to be performed at the dealer $200... If you pickup an extended warranty that will run you over $100/month, then you'll still be dealing with deductible.

Get it if your parents are rich basically.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi mate, I say go for it! I'm 21 and I have an 03 (04 spec in the states) range rover vogue which has had the full front and rear 2007 supercharged facelift done and it looks sick!! The car had only done 50,000 miles when i got it. They are very expensive to run I admit but if your careful with the way you drive it and you pay it a bit of respect and look after and maintain it then you will have a good car! It's also a learning experience, if you are interested in getting to know about cars and range rovers in perticular then it's a great tool to do that, I don't know what its like in the states but over here dealers charge a fortune for everything!! But if you have a copy of the RAVE technical manual and you are ok with a bit of DIY then you can do just about any if the maintenance on the vehicle, don't listen to all the doom and gloom, they do have their problems and can be a pain in the ass at times but when you wake up and you go out to your garage and theirs YOUR Range Rover and you get in and start driving down the road its the best feeling EVER!!

You will always get strange looks driving these type of cars I'm 21 but I only look around 17-18 and I get some strange looks when I'm sat in traffic or at the lights but WHO cares what looks you get, that just means they want one! Lol

If you want a good checklist of things to look out for on these cars check out my website at http://www.myrangerover.co.uk I have a really good long before purchase checklist and get your self signed up to http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f10 it's a uk forum but there is masses of info on their

Good Luck and let us know how you get on and if you need any more help or advice let me know!

Matt

·
Registered
266 Posts
2003-2004: you will, regardless of mileage, be looking at replacing air springs before you are out of HS ($1000+/- each). Brakes might be $2000, as mine were this year (on a 2005, I did them myself last year with aftermarket parts, which warped and failed within a year.) If you have skill as a mechanic, you can do the labor for much of the repair, but parts are not inexpensive, and aftermarket parts are limited. Today, I priced a headlight wiper arm because of a missing bit of trim, $86.

The paint on the door handles, grille, lettering, and side louvers will probably peel and flake soon, so plan on replacing or painting them unless you want to go ghetto.

Car Cannibal in OKC might be able to source parts for you, but they usually have older vehicles, rather than L322's.

These are great cars, but not for the faint of wallet. I was having this conversation with my LR service writer and the service manager this afternoon.

Knowing all of this, make an educated decision, and be sure you have $1000-2000 waiting for the next repair, and do not put off the small stuff, because it will get expensive fast. Chat with the LR dealer service guys a bit before buying. The guys in Tulsa were nice when I dropped in last year for a rush oil change. I've never been to LR OKC.

Also, if you plan on using LR dealer service, consider buying from the dealer - they will treat you much better for doing so. And since the "certified pre-owned" (CPO) changed, the dealers here are selling at market value and having you buy, or not, the extended warranty. Remember that the warranty through the dealer is expensive, but will probably cover bumper-to-bumper, unlike most aftermarket warranties. Carmax warranty was excellent on my wife's Discovery 2, and the dealer always smiled when it arrived for repair.

The guys at TexasCarsDirect.com in Dallas always have good vehicles, but the financing isn't always great, just available and plentiful. Prices are generally low.

Lastly, as with anything used, consider coming south to buy, since the road salts in OK and north tend to rust the vulnerable parts of cars quickly.
(edit for spelling)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts