RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years ago I owned a 95 LWB County and it was a great truck until my daughter had an accident.

I am now considering buying a 2002 with 57k or a 2000 with 63k. I am a DIYer and have done some serious work on my Tahoes, Jeep and Lexus LS400. I expect to be able to do most of the maintenance and repairs as needed.

My concern with these trucks is the electrical problems reported here and on other sites. I'm not an expert on electrical - primarily because I'm color blind and have a difficult time following wires. Thank goodness it appears most of the problems are because of weak batteries, alternators and bad grounds. Those are problems I can probably handle - even being color blind 8)

I'm also a bit concerned about the EAS, as I had another Lexus LS400 with EHS and when one went it was expensive ($1,500/wheel just for the parts).

I only have a couple of questions:
1) How difficult is it to get parts for these trucks?
2) What is the mpg that you really experience?
3) Are any of these models full-time 4wd or does the front axle shafts always turn?
4) Do these have timing belts or chains, and how difficult are they to change?

TIA,

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
LEBoyd said:
3) Are any of these models full-time 4wd or does the front axle shafts always turn?

TIA,
1- Easy, depending on where you live.
2- 12-16 Miles Per US Gallon
3- They're all full time 4wd. Part time 4wd front axles don't turn only if you have the appropriate hubs.
4- Chains. You'll never need to most likely.

·
Registered
966 Posts
kmagnuss said:
LEBoyd said:

TIA,
1- Easy, depending on where you live.
2- 12-16 Miles Per US Gallon
3- They're all full time 4wd. Part time 4wd front axles don't turn only if you have the appropriate hubs.
4- Chains. You'll never need to most likely.

What he said.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
1) sounds like that is going to be a lot easier than it was for the lexus! parts are pretty easy to come by here in the states.
2) 17-19 u.s. mpg here
3) as above
4) as above.

martin

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
In agreement with the other posts. Also, if you are willing to learn about the workings of the EAS on this site it will never cost that much to fix. I believe that you will find the P38 relatively easy to work on compared to modern passenger cars. Access is very good for most repairs. By comparison, my Audi S6 is in the shop today. Its a great car and I usually DIY repairs on it. But the thermostat died and to get to it, you have to remove the bumper, oil cooler, rad,fans, serpentine, and timing belts to access the thermostat housing. Most people have the timing belts, thermostat, and water pump replaced together because of the difficulty to access. Not too mention all the special tools, I found messing with the timing of a 40 valve V8 of interference design to be a little too antimidating. The $1800 I'm paying a shop to do it would cover all the parts I have ever purchased for my P38.

·
Registered
966 Posts
NorCal RR said:
In agreement with the other posts. Also, if you are willing to learn about the workings of the EAS on this site it will never cost that much to fix. I believe that you will find the P38 relatively easy to work on compared to modern passenger cars. Access is very good for most repairs. By comparison, my Audi S6 is in the shop today. Its a great car and I usually DIY repairs on it. But the thermostat died and to get to it, you have to remove the bumper, oil cooler, rad,fans, serpentine, and timing belts to access the thermostat housing. Most people have the timing belts, thermostat, and water pump replaced together because of the difficulty to access. Not too mention all the special tools, I found messing with the timing of a 40 valve V8 of interference design to be a little too antimidating. The $1800 I'm paying a shop to do it would cover all the parts I have ever purchased for my P38.

Aww cmon. I did my S4 timing belt in a day, no problem! It was kind of fun, like a puzzle! :) I had to buy the cam lock tool for like 200 bucks but its brought me more than a few cases of beer from local S4 guys needing it.

The RR is a piece of cake compared to that car, though, so you're right about that.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
leftlanetruckin said:
1) sounds like that is going to be a lot easier than it was for the lexus! parts are pretty easy to come by here in the states.
2) 17-19 u.s. mpg here
3) as above
4) as above.

martin
Thanks for all the information. I had found that the 95 LWB County was easy to repair. After the accident, the roof leaked at the front driver side and I could never get it to stop. Sold it to a ranch down in Mexico - not much rain there.

I noticed that two folks said their mpg was 12-14 and Martin has his at 17-19. Is the 17-19 hwy mpg? If so, that's not too bad, as most of my driving (50 miles one way to the office) is hwy driving.

Anyone consider how to and had success at increasing the mpg on the P38?

TIA.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
yes i get 19mpg on a steady (65-70mph) run. seen 20 mpg on more than one occasion....
i got a good jump in mileage when i replaced the tps and a few other sensors, cleaned the maf, and did a little "tune up" with the faultmate. before that it was 14-17 mpg.
mind, i also know how to drive too, doing it for a living and all.... :thumb: not that i hang about, nor does the wife with her 85mph speeding ticket, but there is right and wrong in everything..... must be something to do with them florida drivers i reckon :lol: :D :lol: :D J/K before the p'ing match starts.
if you want good fuel mileage, say over 20 mpg constantly, get something else IMHO.
when we tow the jet ski's, it then gets 16-17 mpg.

martin

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
I wasn't singleing you out... just telling him not to expect 19 mpg, as it's not the norm. Yes, if I drive 5 under the speed limit (speed limit is 70 here) I can get 18 here in the flatlands of FL, but I'm not 90 years old yet, so I don't.

I don't even drive my P anymore... the wifers likes it for some reason. I just come on here to mess with all the new guys.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Jsmooth65 said:
Aww cmon. I did my S4 timing belt in a day, no problem! It was kind of fun, like a puzzle! :) I had to buy the cam lock tool for like 200 bucks but its brought me more than a few cases of beer from local S4 guys needing it.

The RR is a piece of cake compared to that car, though, so you're right about that.
It was tough letting someone else touch my car :shock: But besides being an ugly job, I just didn't have the time. On the V8, its considered a 7.5 hour job for a tech. I figured it would take a whole weekend for me and that would have been the 4th of July weekend. Needed the car this week.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
15.6 mpg today, between 70 and 80 mph here in missouri (up n down hills), hauling 2- 800lb jet ski's on a steel trailer.

martin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts