Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i am considering buying a 2004 range rover from our LR dealer in LA. it has 60k miles and he is asking $24k for it.

i have a few questions:
1. is that a good deal/price on the car?
2. what are some trouble spots that i should watch out for?

please let me know, id really appreciate it

thank you

·
Registered
159 Posts
if you can be OUT THE DOOR for 24, that'd be fair. but you will need a warranty. these things well-earned their reputation of being unreliable. you want reliable? buy a lexus. you know that saying "it's not broken, it's british"?? well, it's true....
but if you want awesome, cool, luxurious, capable, etc... the full sized rover is the best! if you can possibly scrounge up enough dough for an in-warranty '06 or newer it would be well worth your money. '03, and '04 are notoriously spotty years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ed1655 said:
if you can be OUT THE DOOR for 24, that'd be fair. but you will need a warranty. these things well-earned their reputation of being unreliable. you want reliable? buy a lexus. you know that saying "it's not broken, it's british"?? well, it's true....
but if you want awesome, cool, luxurious, capable, etc... the full sized rover is the best! if you can possibly scrounge up enough dough for an in-warranty '06 or newer it would be well worth your money. '03, and '04 are notoriously spotty years.
actually based on user reviews i concluded that 04 actually was the least troublesome year. based on edmunds and msn autos 06 is the worst with lots of problems. thats why i decided to go with the 04. maybe i am wrong? please advise

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
211 Posts
At that price I'd try to get them to throw in an extended warranty if not already included. And make sure its a good warranty. I've had an 04 for 3 months so I cant comment on reliability. I see mixed reviews though. If it hasnt been abused (towing with 24" wheels etc) and if you dont mistreat it you should be fine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Immediately change the "lifetime" transmission fluid, "lifetime" diff oil, and engine oil (just to make sure it is well serviced and lubricated).

Know that you will be replacing both front air springs in the next 40k miles. You will - it's more an age thing, but a 2004 is getting to that age.

Also, know that you should do a radiator, expansion tank, hoses and water pump before 75k miles (in my opinion). An overheated engine is a HUGE expense.

You will do PCV hoses soon also - remove the heat blanket around the hoses unless you live where the temperature regularly gets below freezing - an old experienced mechanic taught me this.

You may do a transmission before 100k.

At 60k miles, you are buying it right when all the expensive maintenane starts.

I think $24k sounds VERY expensive, unless the vehicle has a COMPLETE and THOROUGH service history. I'm not talking, just "factory" maintenance - because factory maintenance is a joke. Factory Maintenance is designed to make it easy for the car companies to include "free maintenance" during a lease. So if they reduce the maintenance requirements, then they don't have to do as much, knowing that the next guy will have to do a bunch of maintenance.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
33 Posts
All good advice here. 24K seems a little on the high side, but if it has a FULL maintenance history and is up to date it is probably not too far off. Rovers respond to preventitive maintenance much better than other makes.

Dont let the work scare you, if you are somewhat mechanically inclinded there is little you cannot do. If you run to the dealer for every fluid change you better have a gold card!

If you do wish to drive the finest SUV on the planet, look no further. Despite the 'little things' there are few people that would trade their Rover for any other SUV

1 - 6 of 6 Posts