RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm currently changing the wiring loom/harness that I bought a while ago as part of an engine change.
The connectors are not quite the same as on the old one though.
But to also change the oxygen sensors and the camshaftsensor is rather costly.

What I would like to do is keep the new harness undamaged and change the connectors on the sensors.

http://www.roverparts.com/product/img/i ... _LARGE.jpg is a picture of the connector I'm looking for.

Does anyone know the name of these particular connectors so I'll know what to look/ask for? Or a supplier maybe?

Regards, Olav

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I'm not positive on this... but I think the older style O2 sensors were a two wire set up, and the newer style are a three wire. I could be totally off on this though... :think:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Not sure but you may have a couple of issues here, you don't say but is your Engine the the Gems System or Motronic (Bosch) as I'm would think the Harness will be different. So is your harness for the correct variant of Engine?

If it is the same why not just Remove the connectors/plugs from the old harness and refit to the new one. I think most of the Connectors are something like Amp but you might have quite a job trying to source them.

Cheers

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
There are at least three varieties of O2 sensors. I know two of the O2 types are four wire.

As far as Gems vs Bosck harness there are several differences and when you add late Boach vs early Bosch and 95 vs the rest of GEMS things can get quite messy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The P38 engine era is not cut in two by pre- and post XA410482 ( GEMS or Thor). The GEMS period is also divided into several periods as sensors and their connectors are concerned.

There are 2 O2 sensors for GEMS, ERR1834 (to VA350483) and AMR6244 (from VA350484 to XA410482) both 4 wires. Same goes for the Camshaft sensor only different VIN numbers, same sensor, different connector, also crankshaftsensor: same sensor, different connector. Coolanttemp sensor in inletmanifold, one has a Bosch connector but with the Gems system.
If you put 6 P38's 4.6 together ranging from '95 to '97 you can have 6 different harnesses with really small differences but the GEMS ECU's stay more or less the same.

To cut of the connectors from the old harness would indeed solve the problem but as any P38 owner will know by experience, much of the electrical gremlins are caused by old, corroded connectors that are made of plastic that becomes brittle over the years and will brake off by as much as touching them, let alone pulling them apart or from the supportbracket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts