RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, the other day I noticed something that I wasn't expecting, now that the weather is getting cold up here. Please bear with me as I try to describe the issue.

The manual states something like... "the rear climate control can either be three-zone or four-zone". I didn't get either as an option. As a result, I've always assumed that it's a two-zone setting where whatever setting I have in the front will be applied to the rear. And this is where I seem to be wrong.

In my truck, the centre console has two vents blowing towards the rear (and it doesn't have any dials controlling temperature, which is what I expected). However, no matter what I do (or what settings I pick in the front), these two rear vents don't appear to be fuctional. I've never been able to successfully have any air come out of these two rear vents. Is this normal?

Hopefully, someone else has a similar set up to provide some clue.

·
Registered
726 Posts
There may be 2 possibilities:
1) Did you try all of the different "vent" selections in the front? In my Q5, I get the best rear "3-zone" HVAC when the front is set to the "face/upper" vent setting.
2) There is a defect that needs to be repaired by the dealer.

Good luck and please report back.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Is there a small "wheel" to manually control airflow from those vents? In 2013s and earlier it was located right under the two rear vents on the back of the center console, kinda hard to see (but once you know where it is you can operate it by feel, even from the driver's seat. When noone is sitting back there, it's nice to shut down those vents to maximize output from the front ones.) Make sure the wheel is turned all the way to the "open" position to get air out of those two vents.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There may be 2 possibilities:
1) Did you try all of the different "vent" selections in the front? In my Q5, I get the best rear "3-zone" HVAC when the front is set to the "face/upper" vent setting.
2) There is a defect that needs to be repaired by the dealer.

Good luck and please report back.
1) I am going to try different vent selections, as you suggested.

2) This is a possibility although the truck being fairly new... I am still inclined to give it the benefit of doubt at this time. I may take it in eventually but I am going to try and exhaust all possibilities... to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a small "wheel" to manually control airflow from those vents? In 2013s and earlier it was located right under the two rear vents on the back of the center console, kinda hard to see (but once you know where it is you can operate it by feel, even from the driver's seat. When noone is sitting back there, it's nice to shut down those vents to maximize output from the front ones.) Make sure the wheel is turned all the way to the "open" position to get air out of those two vents.
Yes, the two rear vents do have small "wheels". They look identical to the ones in the front, BUT it "feels" different. It doesn't have the detent when you reach the either ends, i.e. the wheel turns smooth all the way both ways. I am not sure if this means anything though.

As for making sure it's in the "open" position, I tried both ends (on each wheels) too. More investigation needed, also as suggested by awryexperime.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Can you look inside the vent to see or hear if a door is actually opening and closing while your articulating the wheel?

Most cars ive had, the front passenger side settings control the rear ventilation settings. Did you try playing around with the independent of the driver side vent settings?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
Your only going to get airflow out of them in two situations

You need to select the vents on front control so air is blowing out of dash vents and you will have air from console.

Or when in auto climate those only flow when a/c is on. In auto hear comes from floor and AC comes from vents unless you manual over ride on dash.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your only going to get airflow out of them in two situations

You need to select the vents on front control so air is blowing out of dash vents and you will have air from console.

Or when in auto climate those only flow when a/c is on. In auto hear comes from floor and AC comes from vents unless you manual over ride on dash.
Ah, how timely. Yes, I tested this earlier today (**** it's getting colder here now). I was able to select only the front dash vents and felt air coming out from the rear vents. So, thank you and awryexperime. I would not have figured this out.

To make matters worse looking back, I don't use AUTO setting... Thanks all for your input. Confusion cleared up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts