Range Rovers Forum banner

Confused if I should go for cayenne e hybrid or RRS

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  ithinkmac 
#1 ·
Saw the new pricing online for porsche cayenne ehybrid. Excellent mpg. Green plates and gov rebates vs RRS
Anyone else comparing these two SUVs?

#2 ·
I am in the same boat. Have a 2011 RRS, also had a 2008, and am now either looking at the 2015 RRS HSE or the new Cayenne SE Hybrid. Leaning towards the latter for the reasons you mentioned (mileage, rebate, etc). I do a lot of sub 20 mile drives (so could do that on all or mostly battery). Quicker to 60 (not a huge deal) and maybe a change (after 2 RRS) are all positive reasons to move to the other camp. Only plus for me on the RRS is that I still think it looks a little better (not by much) and runs about $10k less. hmmmm

#6 ·
Nov 1 st 2014
Just test drove panamera e hybrid to see how the engine works. It's now bad but the change from electric to gas frequently is annoying. Mpg written for panamera is 3.9 but real life is 5.9. So I am guessing cayenne is going to be a bit more. So not much gas saving but it's 15k more as config. Will need to drive 4 yrs to break even by then there will be a better electric suv. Then drove the range rover today. Was way nicer. Sat in the full size. Much nicer. So decided to go with the full size RR. Now trying to neg with them for a better trade in for my 2011 toureg tdi.

#9 ·

My thoughts precisely. Plus you buy a hybrid good luck selling it after 4-5yrs. People don't want to buy them thinking of needing new batteries only a few years down the road. That plus they have not been around long enough to have a real track record people can look at to feel comfortable with. The savings are nowhere near what they appear to be when you factor in everything including the extra initial cost of the vehicle.

#8 ·
Rogerroger60, also looked at Cayenne GTS, RRS and RR and ended up deciding on RR ATB, which I hope to order soon.

Also considered ML63 and GL63, but those never made it past the showroom visit stage, after we sat in the back seats. GL had the worst back seats.

#10 ·
I wanted a 911 C4S but my brain won over my heart. `)
I looked at all of the above including X6M and X5M. I am longtime BMW customer so had to. The ML is bottom lung luxury SUV. It's actually the most uncomfortable of the bunch and lacks real soul. The Porsches didn't impress me for all the $$$ you pay. The GTS is closer to RRS, but not quite. The Turbo is badass, the athlete of the bunch but it costs too much and doesn't quite differentiate itself enough for the extra cost. In terms of value the turbo is dead last. I would have taken the X6M but it has almost zero utility. I mean no space at all. It's the most impractical but the prettiest. The RRS consistent second or best. Plus it's unique among the wolf pack. RR/RRS are just hard to beat.

#11 ·
If you're thinking Hybrid, then might as well go all-electric. Tesla Model X.

Otherwise, like other said, it's not that much of a gain in gas savings. You'll have to drive it forever. I remember a year or 2 ago, car magazines were doing comparison between the regular vs hybrid versions of cars from different brands and find that you have to drive like 150k or 200k miles before you break even with the non-hybrid version.

Withe Porsche, your obviously going for the tech (since the regular version looks exactly the same), and if you're going for tech, the tech in the Tesla will be much better than the hybrid Cayenne. When I had a Panamera e-hybrid loaner, it handles great and drives great. But then I drove a Tesla Model S, and WOW!! You want instant torque, go all electric.

As others mentioned, the RRS is quite unique in it's looks a million bucks from miles away. I do like the little changes they're doing to the face lifted 15 Cayennes, more Macan-esque.

Kinda like what JLR is doing. Design cues that are similar to the current hot selling item in your lineup and watch the money come in.

-ThinkMac-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.