RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the midst of swapping a C series ecu(GEMS / 2wheel TC) for a D series ecu (Bosch / 4 wheel tc).

The C series has a K and an L line running directly to the OBD plug, whereas the D series ecu only has one line going to the OBD plug.

I'm a bit confused, as I though this was RS232 and as such needed a clock line, and a communication line.... my understanding of this is sketchy as you can no doubt see.

I'm wondering if I put the D series ecu in my GEMS p38, (wiring in the D series ecu with only the one line as per the ETM), will diagnostics such as Hawkeye, Faultmate (with the D series module loaded of course) still work as to normal?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Seeing as the diagnostic tools work on both 2/4 TC units, I would think if you select the correct ABS module (in the diagnostics) then it should work.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks heaps John.

That's what i'm thinking too, logically I can't see why it wouldn't work, though my understanding of these things is not to good.
I might trawl through the later OBD connector pinout and see if there's any other differences, that may give a further idea.
Regards.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
some comm's need a separate clock wire but RS232 doesn't, both sides [should] know the protocol so one side (Tx or Rx) just waits for the start bit and will then attempt to read the following 'bit's' in the middle of its intended transmission time. Once the stop bit is detected the clock starts again so to speak, this is why you manually have to configure the COM port setting sometimes if the software hasn't already as its just gobbledygook otherwise. I think that's right, interesting project benji.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts