RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took the rover for a drive and decided to open up the oil cap, and found a disgusting goo inside :shock: . It sits outside now since I don't have time to scrape the windows on my daily driver in the morning. The temperature has been getting pretty cold now, especially last night with the low around 32F. So I am wondering if this is just condensation... I HOPE. I took out the dipstick and did not notice anything out of the ordinary. So I cleaned the cap and put it back on, and drove it some more, and I found some water droplets on the top, but not coolant (It was very clear water), I'll give it a whirl again tomorrow. Let me know what you think.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Ages of condensation. Squirt some degreaser in there and let it sit over night. It'll wipe right out. A quick rinse in degreaser every few oil changes will keep it clear.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ages of condensation. Squirt some degreaser in there and let it sit over night. It'll wipe right out. A quick rinse in degreaser every few oil changes will keep it clear.
What kind of degreaser do you recommend?

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Any. Orange cleaner/degreaser, engine decreaser, 409... they will all do the job. It's really no different than cleaning the stove top. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I've always been told that if your oil filler cap had a milky coating on it, you had a problem. But...I trust toad more than the rumor mill.

If you feel froggy, taste it. If it's sweet, it's antifreeze. I don't recommend or condone consuming anti freeze or any other liquid not intended for human consumption.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol nice fine print kmag. I drove it a bit tonight and looked at the filler cap again, and i just see clear water droplets at the top. I did think head gaskets or something serious, but I I'm starting to think the condensation activated the old dried out oil crud at the top, making it bubble. I will still keep a close eye on it, and definitely try out some degreaser along with some fuel drier additive, which I was told by a friend, is the reason it takes an extra crank to get going in the morning (water in the fuel).

·
Registered
922 Posts
I suppose winter is well on the way in Idaho? Used to get a lot of that sort of thing back in the late 60s in a Morris 1100 :shock: ... living in Canberra...not as cold as Idaho :D only -8 to -10 degC ... but the problem was caused by short runs and vehicle not reaching proper operating temp. Regular oil changes and make sure the viscous fan is not operating any more than needed, so as to enable the coolant temp to rise more quickly... what sort of oil do you use?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had the same worry after I got my 96 4.6 HSE in January. Got it of ebay with out seeing the car first :oops:
Anyway at £1700 it was worth it for parts, but that was not why I bought it. Took the old girl to a local garage that has always been honest with me and expected the worst..........
Got a call to say it was all done, new oil, filter etc, I asked about the water in the oil and they said "what water? No mate that's just condensation, it's a big engine, and it's been sitting around in the cold, just drive it more." They were spot on, never had a hint of creamy oil on the filler cap since, a few drops of clean water now and then, but after a run it's gone.

SID.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just rememberd that the guys at the garage also replaced the two rocker cover breather hoses, one was so soft it would not let the engine vent, that ment the condensation could not burn off and just kept building up, almost steam cleaning the top end of the engine!!

SID.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts