RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Just wondering if I install a used engine and transmission in my 2004 Range Rover, will it start?? does anything have to be programmed?

How about if i install different computers from 2 different Rovers, does anything have to be programmed??

Thanks guys

·
Registered
83 Posts
You will need a T4 in order to synch everything, it can be a can of worms if the new computer and the old one do not recognize each other. If you are just doing the engine/transmission/tcase then you should not have a new computer but can use the old ones. You will still need some time on the T4 to get it all straight. i would find an Indy shop that has time to fiddle with it or the stealership will gig you for some serious bucks. What was the quote for a new engine from the dealer $26K.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually i didnt even bother to get a quote cause i know how expensive they are, im thinking of buying one from teh wreakers for about $6500, but i wanted to knwo all the details before i proceded.

so im sorry did you say a straight engine and tranny swap should work without programming??

i only need to program if i added new computers??

·
Registered
83 Posts
The computers will need to record the new serial numbers of the components that you are installing. This will require a T4 to reset everything and get it going. Easier than trying to get a new computer working with an old one but still may cause you some headaches.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok Thank you very much, these things sure are finiky. I wish you could just install a used engine and tranny and put the key in the ignition and drive away!

Guess not! thanks for you help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts