RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can i somehow raise my Range Rover Sport L320 1.st gen without running engine? 1 of my turbos broke and It’s giving oil to Intercooler and then to engine so i cant start it and suspension dropped down that it cant go more down so i need help, thanks

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
445 Posts
Hi. Sir, it is a little bit naive to assume that compressor directly inflates airstruts. I think compressor pumps the air in to airtank, and from there VIA series of valves it being distributed to airsprings. Even if you supply 12v directly to compressor, it will, probably, have no effect on airsprings. Did you try to operate the suspension buttons with only ignition ON? If thats does not work, I guess the only option would be - hooking up a dignostic computer to see you can take control of suspension functions with it.
Also, I noticed when I jack-up my rover to do some work under, when I remove the jack - it stays high till I start the car and cycle suspension to high and then to normal. If you have air in airtank, you can try that, may be it will work for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. Sir, it is a little bit naive to assume that compressor directly inflates airstruts. I think compressor pumps the air in to airtank, and from there VIA series of valves it being distributed to airsprings. Even if you supply 12v directly to compressor, it will, probably, have no effect on airsprings. Did you try to operate the suspension buttons with only ignition ON? If thats does not work, I guess the only option would be - hooking up a dignostic computer to see you can take control of suspension functions with it.
Also, I noticed when I jack-up my rover to do some work under, when I remove the jack - it stays high till I start the car and cycle suspension to high and then to normal. If you have air in airtank, you can try that, may be it will work for you.
Ok, i have no air in airtank, i tried that, didnt work, but i ´ll try to just turn ignition on and raise it, because i love range rovers and It’s a pity that my Rover is not drivable and i dont want to happen something to suspension, so thank you so much, have a great day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got one more question, can i fill airtank just by somehow connecting tire compressor? Because my turbo is broken, the fan in turbo cracked and went into exhaust and i dont know if i can start engine without somehow ruining it and if It’s running properly, because i need to raise rover up, thank you so much

·
Registered
445 Posts
In theory, it can be done but you'd have to take scientific approach to it.
You need to learn what pressure does RR system suppose to maintain and pump just as much. Then comes the next question - how are you planning on inflating airstruts? You still need to operate the valves somehow.
And main question: you said that parts of turbine broke off and went in to exhaust piping, and turbocharger is bleeding oil in to intercooler/intake, so obviously, regardless if you'd be able to inflate airsuspension or not, you can not drive the Rover at this time... So why all the hassle? If you have to tow it to service facility, it can safely be moved and rolled around with deflated suspension, it designed for that, I mean, LR engineers dasigned this vehichle in such way that even in event of catastrofic suspension failure, you can, with some limitations, continue driving...
If you're worried that your RRS might be standing still for a while with deflated suspension, till you get Turbo situation resolved? , ok, but why not just put it on jack-stands? 4 jackstands will cost you around $100-150, will take 40 min to accomplish without messing with car's systems... I, personally, would do just that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In theory, it can be done but you'd have to take scientific approach to it.
You need to learn what pressure does RR system suppose to maintain and pump just as much. Then comes the next question - how are you planning on inflating airstruts? You still need to operate the valves somehow.
And main question: you said that parts of turbine broke off and went in to exhaust piping, and turbocharger is bleeding oil in to intercooler/intake, so obviously, regardless if you'd be able to inflate airsuspension or not, you can not drive the Rover at this time... So why all the hassle? If you have to tow it to service facility, it can safely be moved and rolled around with deflated suspension, it designed for that, I mean, LR engineers dasigned this vehichle in such way that even in event of catastrofic suspension failure, you can, with some limitations, continue driving...
If you're worried that your RRS might be standing still for a while with deflated suspension, till you get Turbo situation resolved? , ok, but why not just put it on jack-stands? 4 jackstands will cost you around $100-150, will take 40 min to accomplish without messing with car's systems... I, personally, would do just that.
Ok, thank you so much, i was trying to find How much preasure and other things that Airtank needs or what is too much and i didnt found anything so i will try to find it again and if i wont find anything i will have to put Rover on jack stands, so thank you very much

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
728 Posts
The system operates at a much higher pressure than normal tyre style air compressors can deliver - is something like 250psi vs 150psi that a good tyre compressor can deliver.

Now given that the air suspension does not work unless the engine is running, you need to think this through.

How are you going to get air into the tank? You can get air in via the pipe from the central valve block but how do you keep it in? It is the central valve block that controls everything and it needs the engine to be running. You need to under stand how the system works.

The only way to raise the vehicle is to install an emergency air up kit - this cuts into the air pipes at each airbag and you raise each bag individually bypassing the air system completely.

As said, the car can be moved as it is so that is how you are going to have to do it.

Garry

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
381 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Shouldn't it just come up if you turn the ignition on with a good battery connected? I mean I don't see why the systems would need the engine running except to keep the battery charged. Have you tried that?

·
Registered
145 Posts
There is a little trick that you can do on the 2010-13 MY I’m not sure about earlier models. You can raise the car without actually being in it or turning on the ignition. I’m not sure if this will work but worth a shot. What you do is put on your hazard lights, step outside and close the door. You can then raise the car or lower it with the key fob. You press and hold the left lower button (lights) and to raise you press and hold the unlock button and to lower it the tailgate button. It’s a fun little trick but if you have a good battery the compressor should turn on and raise the car. Good luck, let me know if that helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
728 Posts
If you do that you will get a message saying to start your engine.

·
Registered
145 Posts
How come? That could happen if the battery charge would drop too low I’m guessing, hooking up another car or battery charger should help boosting it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
A bit late but....I have a metre of 8mm airline with a shrader valve in one end and the other cut end chamfered. I use this to pump individual bags up or down with an airline. The reservoir must be empty before you pull any airline out.
Why not a jack and stands?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts