Range Rovers Forum banner

Compressor shot at 47k miles?

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  RRToadHall 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the average/expected life on the suspension air compressors? I have a 2011 with 46,xxx miles and getting all the symptoms. I ordered a new OEM one for around $750 and am hoping that solves the problem - but curious when others have had to replace these?

#2 ·
You are referring to the compressor in the spare tire well area? That seems kind of early for the compressor to go. What symptoms were you having? Wouldn't fill up the corners? Sagging low all around or a particular side? Leaking?

#4 ·
Symptoms (as described by my wife): began with air suspension fault on the dash and truck intermittently stuck in normal drive height. sometimes it would would be fine. then it developed a droning noise at start up that would last about 30 seconds, coming from the rear tire area. lastly, the passenger side front was not inflating to normal drive height, but the other 3 were.

These symptoms (especially the noise) led me to believe its the compressor that was shot from overuse and the heat. My wife does like to lower the car to get the kids out the back, so that probably does qualify as playing with the suspension. Car came from a dealer in FL and we live in TX, so wondering if the heat/humidity also played a factor. It sounds like you think my left bag is also probably leaking. I guess Ill see how it does after I replace the compressor since that arrives tomorrow.

Appreciate the help - any additional advice welcome

#7 ·
OK, I had my indy install the AMK replacement compressor but now I've got new problems. Its VERY loud (can hear it from outside and in for ~40 seconds at start up) and it came on a couple times while driving ~10 miles. It does move up/down between offroad now but twice while I was while adjusting the height to test it, I got “SUSPENSION FAULT: NORMAL HEIGHT ONLY” and it stopped working completely. It was then fine when I restarted it.

Does this sound like I need a software update for the new compressor or somehow not installed correctly?

#8 ·
Sounds like you need to stop guessing, and hook it up to some decent diagnostics to see what it is telling you.
Also, if you care to share your location with the board, someone may be local to you that can lend a hand.

Martin

#10 ·
Add it to your profile, then folks around you may be able to assist with some diagnostic kit etc.
I know if you were anywhere near me, I could read the EAS system ECM and see whats going on.
Martin

#12 ·
Well the water pump has nothing to do with the suspension nor has it even been mentioned until now. You also don;t let us know WHY you had to replace both struts. Did you have a leak in one and they talked you into replacing both?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.