RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my replacement teflon seal for the compressor rebuild yesterday after some shipping mixups with Dennis @ Rover-Renovations (not his fault - I think USPS screwed up the package). Anyhow, did the rebuild today and the new seal worked great, and Dennis was dead-on about his initial prognosis.

My existing seal was torn in two places, and the piston and cylinder were still in great shape. However, it took me all afternoon to remove it, take it apart, and rebuild it (it was my first rebuild). The good news is I think it fixed my compressor taking forever to raise the truck. Appears to be working good now! :dance:

The bad news is one of the screws that holds the compressor end plate (shown here on the right side) simply sheared off while I was unscrewing it.

The screw head that broke off is the top left one.

In the near future, I need to extract this broken screw and procure a new one of the same size. Can this extraction be done on such a small screw? If so, where can I get a replacement? :think:

·
Registered
976 Posts
There are tools called mini screw extractors that pretty much looks like a typical screwdriver, except the tip features jagged edges to catch the broken screw. It's pretty specialized, so you probably have to buy online.

As for screws, you'll be surprised but general hardware stores like Home Depot and Lowe's feature extensive selection of screws. I bet you can find one there.

Good luck

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

The screw you are mentioning is not very important, And I would apply some liquid gasket and fit the cover with the 2 remaining screws. The worst thing that can happen is that the cover leaks a bit and let in some unfiltered air.

Best regards

Jos

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
I collected 6 broken screws over time and took them to a machine shop for extraction (I had no luck getting them out..) they ended up drilling them out slightly larger and re-tapping. Basically, if the bot snaps it is NOT coming out in the usual manner.

And sorry about the SNAFU, but glad it got there finally and cured your issues.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bonnychoo said:
Just drill it through and tap a thread for a bolt one size bigger.
Thanks for all the replies.

When you guys talk about drilling it out and re-tapping, do you mean drilling it out with a larger bit and then using a self-tapping screw to create the threads? I've also heard of people putting a specialized threaded insert (forget the name of it) into the drilled hole, but that seems to be overkill for this situation.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
self-tapping screws are typically for sheet-metal. I don't know if they'll work here, the hardware store guy will know.

I was discussing cutting threads with a tap, then install a normal bolt.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

Self tapping screw will probably work. The housing is aluminum.

The threaded insert is called a heli coil and is used to restore a stripped out thread back to be able to fit an original bolt.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
65 Posts
mellowyellow said:
bonnychoo said:
Just drill it through and tap a thread for a bolt one size bigger.
Thanks for all the replies.

When you guys talk about drilling it out and re-tapping, do you mean drilling it out with a larger bit and then using a self-tapping screw to create the threads? I've also heard of people putting a specialized threaded insert (forget the name of it) into the drilled hole, but that seems to be overkill for this situation.

Yes definite overkill using helicoils. Go get a machine shop drill the old screw out. The labor costs can't be that much for drilling a screw out.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Same problem here. If at all possible put a small slot in the screw with whatever etching tool you have and turn it out with a small flat/slotted screw driver. worth a shot if it really bugs you but overall its not that important.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
rhino_ed said:
Same problem here. If at all possible put a small slot in the screw with whatever etching tool you have and turn it out with a small flat/slotted screw driver. worth a shot if it really bugs you but overall its not that important.
I tried that (along with other standard fixes) with no joy, I think if it's stuck hard enough to shear the bolt, it's not coming out by an alternate method. Maybe heat to break up the corrosion that's jamming it, but not worth the effort at that point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts