RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 Range Rover and it has been making a loud humming type noise every time I drive the car while it is trying to raise the vehicle. Generally when I park, I will lower the car and that is fine. When I start up and drive, the car will automatically go back to the normal height. While doing that (actually even longer) I can hear a pretty loud humming noise that is very annoying. I took it to the dealership and they said it was the compressor but that it was still working so their was nothing they could do. REALLY??? I only have a 3K to go before my warranty is out. Does anyone know if what they are saying is true? Any way to fix it now? Should it be fixed now? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Take out your spare wheel and make sure everything is secure, then replace making sure it's not touching the compressor housing as it will vibrate against it...

If you still get the noise, the rubber bushings the compressor is mounted with may have deteriorated, these can be replaced cheaply. If you still have warranty say that you can feel the vibration through the whole car, this should make them change the bushes (although you may have to prompt them) If you can get a new pump out of the LR warranty then I would maybe tell them that "occasionally it stops lifting the car and all the lights flash" this will then make them think pump!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mine got noisy and it was simply a need to tighten up things around the spare tire. So, wasn't really the compressor...just other stuff vibrating.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I hope it is just the spare or brushing as mentioned. Iwill try my best and see what I can do. I am not very mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
952 Posts
THis is a normal noise for the 06's at least, ours did it from day one and the compressor was replaced at least 2-3 times and each time it was the same--noisy. In my 2010 I can still hear the compressor albeit faintly.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Gazellio said:
My 2006 is totally silent but my 2002 LPG (in the boot) is like a very load vibrating Fart!
Did they put your pump in that stowage box on the right? Mine is stuffed in there wrapped in foam. I'm too scared to dig it all out incase I disturb something, but mine needs shuffling round to make less noise.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do not know where my compressor is at. I am assuming it is not wrapped in foam.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
1ton said:
I do not know where my compressor is at. I am assuming it is not wrapped in foam.
No, yours will be under/in the middle of the spare wheel.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Dan_UK_1984 said:
Gazellio said:
My 2006 is totally silent but my 2002 LPG (in the boot) is like a very load vibrating Fart!
Did they put your pump in that stowage box on the right? Mine is stuffed in there wrapped in foam. I'm too scared to dig it all out incase I disturb something, but mine needs shuffling round to make less noise.

I tried moving it a bit and stuffing in more foam and its a bit quieter and less vibration. Apparently a good LPG fitter can now make them nearly silent or retrofit so its quiet.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
There is a new aftermarket case/bracket/kit for these. I'm not sure where they are avaiable from, but I know the source. Would you like me to find out where they are available?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Rich998a said:
There is a new aftermarket case/bracket/kit for these. I'm not sure where they are avaiable from, but I know the source. Would you like me to find out where they are available?
Yes please :D

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Rich998a said:
To hold it in the stowage box?

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Not 100% Dan. I only chatted to my brother this morning and he mentioned one of his LR friends had developed this unit for use with LPG converted cars. I hadn't realised they were doing these, but I can talk to them and find out. I believe it was a kit to hold the compressor quietly in place when the wheel well was being used as a LPG tank.

If I remember, I'll give them a call tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Rich998a said:
Not 100% Dan. I only chatted to my brother this morning and he mentioned one of his LR friends had developed this unit for use with LPG converted cars. I hadn't realised they were doing these, but I can talk to them and find out. I believe it was a kit to hold the compressor quietly in place when the wheel well was being used as a LPG tank.

Would be great if there is an option other than stuffed in with foam!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: Compressor Noise LPG Air Compressor Pump

Rich998a said:

I'm wondering if this is the prototype that's fitted in my RR? Kit is still under development but makes such a difference compared to when I had it stuffed in foam nexd to the tank. Whereabouts does your brothers friend live, maybe he's the same Guy who's doing mine? My RR is being used as the test vehicle for this kit? :thumb:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one with this problem and it does not sound like a major issue.

Rich, that would be great if you can let me know what you find out. I have no idea what the compressor even looks like. I guess I will try to open the trunk and take a look around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts