RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning! I've recently acquired a '96 4.6 HSE with a few problems I can't get my head around and was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction.

The first is EAS related - when the compressor cuts in I have a nasty (and loud) vibration from the passenger side dashboard which I assume is buggered mounts. Can anybody point me in the direction of decent replacements? I can only seem to find some ebay special jobs that I'm not sure are going to cut it.

The second is arguably more important - my radio isn't working! I've got the highline (I think) H/K system with Clarion Diversity head unit and have had a nasty buzzing noise through all the speakers that comes and goes at various times and volumes. I have had the head unit refurbished by GB 4x4 Radios (brilliant service) but the buzzing noise remains. I also appear to have no power to the speakers in the O/S/R door - neither of them are working and it seems unlikely that both would have failed at once. Are the two connected? I've read somewhere on these forums about some wiring connections in the B-pillar - can anybody shed some light on this?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
Re: A couple of questions.. (compressor mounts / speaker wir

the radio concern may be your amp. its in the stickies I would contact gb 4x4 as well. but for the compressor mounts, you are in the uk you have so many local options, lrdirect, paddock spares, johncraddock, famous four, bearmach, rimmer bros, p38sparesuk, powerfuluk, all makes4x4, etc.

·
Super Moderator
1,905 Posts

A 96 will have the individual amps in the doors so it could be a dead amp or, coupled with the buzzing, could be a connection problem. All of the speaker outputs go via a connector behind the LH footwell kick panel and it isn't unknown for the connections to corrode and cause problems. There's two multiway connectors in there and both ideally need taking out and the wires soldering and insulating with heat shrink.

As said, EAS compressor mounts can be got from numerous sources http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/compressor-mount-britpart-rvl100010-p-2874.html being just one. One thing to be aware of is that each mount should have a pair of dished washers on it. The one under the mount should have the convex side up and that one above the mount should have the convex side down. Get these on wrong and it will be noisy. Get it right and you shouldn't even be able to hear it in the car with the engine running.

·
Registered
527 Posts

+1 on pump rubbers & washers.

There are a couple of other potential noise problems.

1. In some cars (not all) the bottom of the EAS housing gets swollen with heat and vibrates against the inner wing. My fix was to add spacing washers under each housing bolt which raises the EAS housing about 5mm - no more noise.
  2. The housing lid becomes loose and rattles around - I added two layers of gaffa tape around the top lip of the base section, and now the lid closes firmly & doesn't rattle
Pete

p.s. better to use separate threads for each issue, with easily searchable titles - makes it easier to find the solution in years to come.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts