RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here is my deal. Hopefully someone can help me out.

Background:I have a 99 4.6. I completed a entire EAS system overall two and half years ago. Rebuilt the compressor, valve block and replaced all four bags through Dennis. A complete overhaul.

Issue: I came out to my car Monday morning and it was a little low probably at about highway height. I thought it was a little usual, but the EAS will dip sometimes overnight. I cracked the car and the compressor kicked in but didn't raise it up. By the time I got to work (10 mins) it was on bumpstops.

That evening I pulled the line off the compressor and there was hardly any air coming out at all. So I took the compressor apart and noticed the teflon seal had slid off the piston slightly and was worn in one area. Also the metal cylinder had been worn down where the seal had rubbed. I jumped on rover renovations and ordered a new seal and cylinder thinking that was it.

I put them both on today and still have the same issue. There is a little more air coming out than before but I can easily hold my finger over the hole and stop the air. I did a soapy water test and couldn't find a leak in the valve block, lines or bags.

Any ideas? Is my compressor motor worn out?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
RoverRebel said:
Is my compressor motor worn out?
no, most likely the discharge reed valve is leaking by. when it does, the recycling of discharge air tends to destroy the teflon seal very quickly and for some reason, this situation causes the cylinder to get scored, possibly the excessive heat makes the teflon relax more than usual. not sure.

I'd put odds that you can blow into the discharge fitting and feel air leaking backwards. The new piston seals come with a new oring for the discharge reed valve, replace the oring, clean all the gunk off of the metal reed and glue in the oring with a bit of loctite, ensure the oring is perfectly flat and you can't force air backwards through it with lung-pressure.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay I replaced the o-ring and the air pressure improved, not amazing but a difference. However, I still can't get the truck off the bumpstops. I tried to use the jumpwire method to test the corners and I couldn't get any corner to raise. I tried all four and got nothing.

The system seems to have good pressure and I pulled out two of the air lines and got a huge rush of air coming out.

Do you think I have a leak and just can't find it? I'm honestly lost.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Have you tried to inflate the bags manually, this would eliminate everything but the lines to the bags and the bags themselves.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
RoverRebel said:
Okay I replaced the o-ring and the air pressure improved, not amazing but a difference. However, I still can't get the truck off the bumpstops. I tried to use the jumpwire method to test the corners and I couldn't get any corner to raise. I tried all four and got nothing.

The system seems to have good pressure and I pulled out two of the air lines and got a huge rush of air coming out.

Do you think I have a leak and just can't find it? I'm honestly lost.
if the compressor isn't putting out proper pressure, you won't get off the bumpstops, no matter what method you try. A freshly rebuilt compressor takes about 7 minutes to fill an reservoir from empty to 140psi (full). A full reservoir will NOT lift 4 empty airsprings, there's about enough air to pressurize them all, but not get off the bumpstops, so the compressor will need to refill the tank while raising. The first thing to check is for the sound of airflow when using the jumperwires, you should hear a "pssstttt" as the air goes through the lines and into the springs (if the springs were completely empty).

My guess is either you're not letting it fill the tank long enough before trying to raise, or your compressor isn't putting out enough pressure. The springs need about 55psi to lift the truck, the blast of air you got was probably about 50 psi, enough to pressurize the springs, but not quite enough to lift up, so pressuize the springs, then let the comp run another 3-5 minutes to refill the tank, then try lifting.

140 psi in the tank makes it a real bear to remove the airline for the tank.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems to be a compressor issue. I let it run for about 15 minutes and I was able to raise then LH front corner up issuing the jumpwires. After letting it run another 5-7 minutes on each time I was able to raise the other corners up.

I still think the pressure coming out of the compressor isn't what it is supposed to be. I have replaced the telfon ring, both o-rings and the cylinder. Any ideas on what else it could be or do I maybe have a leak somewhere that I can't find?

Oh yeah, and dumb me hard faulted the EAS while using the jumpwires, so now I have that to deal with.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
If the small oring isn't perfectly sealed, it will recycle air instead of pumping

You don't have a hard fault, the ECU isn't sending the "all clear" signal so the BECM throws the message up when you plug the ECU back in it'll work.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any suggestions on how to properly seat it. I use a gasket seal and pushed it down in with the head of a screw that had a lip on it.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Ensure the old sealant is completely cleaned out, a little chunk will make it fold up like a pringle and it won't seal right.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That seemed to work great. I used a needle to really clean out the old sealant and the compressor is working better.

Thanks again Dennis. This site is really great. It helps me keep my RR running like new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts