RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a 2003 Range Rover HSE which I love. I recently had my car serviced for the recommended 60,000 mile check-up and the service guy at the LR dealership noted that I have a small leak in one of my engine hoses. He suggested that I do a "total hose replacement" to avoid future engine problems - specifically, overheating. This sounds fishy to me and I wanted to check to see if this made sense to anyone else out there? Apparently, the hose replacement is not covered by my warranty and will cost ~ $2,000 (USD).

~Herb

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
I'm sure you searched already, but you should read this post : http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewto ... eplacement

Basically yes the dealer will suggest that you replace all of the hoses, and at 2K you cant blame them! There is no difference between the RR and any other car, a rubber hose is a rubber hose.

The only difference is the PCV hose system, this is 3 hoses that need replacing, 2 are very easy and can be done at home in under an hour. Search for PCV Hose Replacement for details and instructions on how to replace.

All of the hoses will eventually need replacing (they will probably last 50-500,000 miles so saying when would be an impossibility), but changing them all at the same time is pointless and needlessly expensive.

PS, please fill out your signature with car year/spec/location. It is also worth while downloading the RAVE Workshop Manual

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I don't know what "all hoses" entails... but even at the costly dealer rates, it shouldn't be more than $600 to do all three PCV hoses. That said, I recently did mine myself for under $100 and it only took a few hours (mainly because the third one is such a pain to reach, I had to use a mirror to see what I was doing). If your $2000 quote includes a bunch of other hoses too, then it may not be out of line but you should just make sure they all really need replacing. It seems pretty unlikely that they would all fail at the same time but if you've let them go for a long time and they are totally destroyed perhaps it is possible.

D

·
0 Posts
I would replace both the upper and lower cooling hoses at the least. If you want to cover yourself and avoid a busted hose and loss of coolent, I would replace all the hoses that are for the cooling system every 60k or 70k miles. I'll bet that if you let them go, your Rover will have one cooling hose failure before 80k.

Buy the hoses yourself and pick a nice warm sunny day ang get it done. It's a easy job, but it takes time and small hands, step ladder (if your under 6'), and a mirror. Oh and a few hand tools.
Buy 2 gallons of fluid and then top off with water. Feel safe about the cooling hoses for another 60k.

Sorry written from iPhone

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas for the advice. All of your suggestions make perfect sense to me - I have decided to let the dealership replace my upper and lower cooling hoses, but I will change the PCV hoses myself. Thanks Dan_UK for the post/thread reference, it was EXACTLY what I needed to read....

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
There is a ******* of a hose behind the engine that links into the heater matrix that burst on me last year, luckily just as I was pulling onto the drive. I used the same hose I bought for the PCV system to replace this, I think 19 or 22mm? So when you get the hose, make sure you have a little extra left over.

Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts