RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share my opinion on the oil leaking from top of motor, valve cover oil leak, side of motor oil coming out, PCV Issue, pouring out oil of side of motor, cold temp issues . 180k 2004 HSE Range Rover L322 HELP

2 years in a row dealing with this. The PCV on my L322 2004 Freezes up at the bottom elbow of the PCV at around 10 to 13f. (I don't use ethanol free gas)
Replaced PCV last year. (Not needed and wasted my money but was dry so worked the rest of the winter)

This year after leaking oil in cold temps from the top of motor/valve cover gasket again, I removed the hose that goes to the PCV added 2 Feet to it and vented it to atmosphere pointing out the bottom back of motor.(Just unhook that POS) I cut 1" off the tubing and using a thick rubber glove and the 1" cut of the pcv pipe to plug the PCV intake. Ghetto af I know. (if its very cold use a hair blowdryer or something to warm up the tubes. They can break when they are very cold.)
Mine has no PCV heater blanket.... That should also fix freeze up in the PCV. (Bought RR from Utah possible from Las Vegas. Moved to North, North, Northern Michigan)

No oil loss and it works fine in -40f up here in the north now. Will hook back up the system in the early spring and repeat each winter. Catch cans are a great idea but can also freeze up and require emptying and if its frozen you are are going to need a few beers and a hair blowdryer. I can only guess. Never done it but looked into it. Not worth the chance of pressurizing the valve cover gasket yet again.

I highly recommend doing this if your RR is in cold area to save the planet from countless gals of oil spilled on our roads by this issue in the L322. The L322 HSE has a TON of oil so you leak much more before noticed.

Valve cover gasket seems to stop leaking after bypassing the PCV. Spilled a lot this year so hard to tell from oil still burning off the side of the motor. Oil levels are steady full after adding 2 quarts. (Its been 4 months)

Other temporary ideas:
1.Use a heated garage to unfreeze the PCV and blast that baby around town for a hour or two. (High RPM)
2.Drive more than 10 miles at a time to burn off collected vapors in the PCV system (Short drives don't have time to burn off the vapors collected in the PCV)(My drive to work = 5 miles)
3. I heard using ethanol free gas helps with this issue as well.

Hope this helps get you back on the road in no time at all for free so you can spend all your money on gas like the rest of us!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Thanks for your post. Ours has a jacket on it and we have been lucky so far (I think) with oil leaking but not necessarily from overpressure. Cannot as yet wrap head around your bypass but it makes sense (much like our Nuffield 4DM with a breather pipe to atmosphere off the valve cover. Hah. With the cold I heard weird noises and have shut her down for a bit till I more fully examine the chain guides. Curious if any engine codes will come up with system open to atmosphere (if i read your info correctly)

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
47 Posts
If I remember correctly all car engines were open to atmosphere before emission control was introduced back in the '70's, made service simple but didn't do much for the enviroment.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
42 Posts
I'm dealing with this same issue now. Mine was originally sold in FL, and I thought I remembered reading a tech bulletin saying that vehicles that were sold within the snow-belt region (MN to NY) were fitted with this electric blanket (LLJ000030), since mine was not originally sold within that region it did not come with it. 6 owners later it has found a home within MN and now deals with subzero temps all to frequently.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts