RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so I was up in NH for turkey day and that night it got down to about 0F or pretty close to it. I went out in the morning to start the truck to warm it up and get the snow melted off of it and I noticed I had an "Air susp. inactive" message waiting for me on the dash. When I started it I didn't hear the compressor kick on or anything but it was staying at normal ride height. I turned the truck off waited a little then started it back up and got the same message. I put some miles on it to see if that would clear the fault but nothing happened. I didn't notice any effect on driving capabilities and had to drive to Newport RI that day so I decided to make the trek. It performed admirably except it was noticeably more top heavy as it wasn't going into highway mode. I tried the steering sensor reset by turning the wheel from lock to lock after starting the truck and engaging the parking brake but got no where. I've read through some other posts but none seem to have the same symptoms or problems that others had along with the suspension fault. the light is on for the button on the knob that controls the EAS and nothing i've tried has fixed it. This comes after my drivers side mirror stopped functioning and steering wheel adjustment started acting up, I noticed on another EAS thread where one other person had this same problem but i couldn't find their solution to it. If anyone has any ideas at all at what it might be please throw them my way I'm all ears, or eyes rather.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Probably not related to the mirror/column problems.

Yes, cold weather does have an effect on EAS, colder/denser air is more difficult to compress, and puts a lot more strain on the compressor. Years ago, there was a service action to change the compressor/reservoir parameters to Cold Climate spec, to lower the reservoir full pressure from 11.7 to 10.7 bar to help with this from happening. I would bet you're looking at a 116 Reservoir Pressure Static When Filling fault. This can be a hard fault, and will need to be reset before it will function correctly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably not related to the mirror/column problems.

Yes, cold weather does have an effect on EAS, colder/denser air is more difficult to compress, and puts a lot more strain on the compressor. Years ago, there was a service action to change the compressor/reservoir parameters to Cold Climate spec, to lower the reservoir full pressure from 11.7 to 10.7 bar to help with this from happening. I would bet you're looking at a 116 Reservoir Pressure Static When Filling fault. This can be a hard fault, and will need to be reset before it will function correctly.
I was told by the dealership when buying it that the air suspension system had been replaced at 86,000 miles I just ticked over 104,500. Is it possible I have one of the tanks that doesn't work in the cold? The reason I mentioned the mirror and steering column is because in one of the threads I read they said that two connecters had been switched when the door card was removed one for the mirror systems and one fore the entry level button I presume. Could I clear this hard fault by disconnecting the battery and touching the negative and positive leads when I do? I am without access to and OBD diagnostic reader at the moment.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was told by the dealership when buying it that the air suspension system had been replaced at 86,000 miles
Sounds like a bit of an exaggeration. Maybe a failed component or two, but I doubt the system was replaced.
Your basic OBD reader is not going to clear that fault, you need something like a Hawkeye or a visit to your indy shop.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Hard faults are stored in non-volatile memory, so battery disconnect will not work, and yes, a generic scan tool will not help, need rover specific.

It has nothing to do with what 'tank' is installed, but the software parameters. Also, this software fix was somewhat of a band-aid for vehicles under warranty to prolong the life of an ageing compressor. The correct repair, if the fault is as above, will most likely be a new compressor.

And yes, huge exaggeration on their part, it probably either had a compressor(which I would doubt if that turns out to be the fault) or one or both front struts replaced, there are many other components in the EAS system.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really hope it's not the compressor, would it have given any notable warning signs before failing like this? I cannot recall anything that would have made me suspect my compressor was going to fail.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turned out to just be a glitch in the system. My mechanic reset and re-flashed the computers, everything works like a charm now, the compressor has seemed to pick up a mind of its own now though, randomly kicks on then off whenever it pleases but doesn't affect ride height.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2004 Range Rover HSE did the same thing 3 days ago. Started it on a very very cold morning, it hesitated a bit and then came alive but the air suspension inactive light came on. And yesterday the rear right side dropped. Can you tell me which mechanic you went to? I am also in the Hopkinton MA area and probably can go to the same person.

·
Registered
97 Posts
mine gave me its first gripe after 5 days of -20 below zero. with the extreme cold it would go to the bump stops when sitting for anything more than an hour. but it wasn't alone...anything with air suspension was doing the same thing.

rovercold.jpg

i got the "suspension fault - normal height only" while driving. i think however i might not have given it enough time to warm up and fill the suspension before my drive however since i was in a bit of a hurry. after i restarted it on my next trip it was fine and hasn't given me any issues.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
It may not but urgent, but usually EAS that is otherwise fine, but drops to bumps in the cold has worn front struts. I used to think it was just the cold with my '04, but after the struts finally failed and I replaced them, it never did this again, even in -20F weather....

·
Registered
97 Posts
It may not but urgent, but usually EAS that is otherwise fine, but drops to bumps in the cold has worn front struts. I used to think it was just the cold with my '04, but after the struts finally failed and I replaced them, it never did this again, even in -20F weather....
yeah i have 101k on my RR now. i'm preparing to start to replace bags over the summer. going to start with the fronts and do the rears later.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
305 Posts
I'm kinda going through this issue now--- replaced both front air bags, but in below freezing weather I'm still getting EAS faults. My Indy guy found water in/around system so is convinced there's ice in the line which obviously prevents functionality. Trying to figure out a solution. Maybe guys with similar "cold weather" issues should look at ice build up due to all the moisture these rigs collect in the EAS.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
101 Posts
My '07 SC has an issue with lowering in cold weather...With last week's cold here in MA on two separate occasions I went to put her down (once to access height, and once from Offroad height to normal mode) and both times I got the bong and suspension inactive messages. The not lowering from Offroad height was a problem because it limits your speed to 30. Turned the car off, turned it on, used my ID Tool to clear all faults, started the car, let her run a few minutes and after several attempts (rear would go down but not the front...telling me to lower after I'd cleared my obstacle) the front finally lowered with the rear back to normal height and I left the EAS alone until temps returned to closer to freezing.

I assume in my case it some sort of freezing of the purge valves...maybe due to ice outside...maybe due to water inside the compressor...or both.

At any rate, I'll not be using the EAS anytime below about the teens and even then will make sure I'm close to home on local roads in case I get stuck in off road mode.

Mine doesn't seem to have a problem filling the bladders...only purging them.

-John
'07 RRSC

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
My '07 SC has an issue with lowering in cold weather...
Your issue is different, but common.

There is a small porous brass silencer(muffler) on the compressor that any air exhausted from the system goes through. When the desiccant begins to break apart in the dryer, it will clog this up. There is a redesigned one available(RVQ500050) that has an extra hole in it to prevent this from occurring. I would recommend replacing the silencer along with the EAS dryer(VUB504700)

If this occurs while driving it can become highly unstable, and pose a safety concern. The silencer can be removed from the compressor entirely to allow it to vent pressure and let the truck lower properly, but it will be loud.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Does EAS activate bind to a vin anyone? If not OP feel free to PM me your address (I'm in wellesley) and will drop my eas activate in the mail for you (assuming I still have it 90% sure). When I had my 04 this was a regular occurrence in cold weather. Anytime the temp got real low there was a chance the car would have air suspension inactive. Sometimes a valve in the block would freeze and put the car into hard fault, sometimes the compressor (despite being new) would shoot that pressure static hard fault, etc. I always just plugged my eas activate into the OBD2, pull/clear the code, suspension would come back online. Or you could get to the root of the problem, but for me it wasn't worth replacing things that failed @ 10degrees because it only happened a handful of times during the year. Plus the tool will diagnose the system when things actually do break. Lemme know :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
brad s1, thanks for the hospitality it's really appreciated unfortunately I have already had the problem remedied, an indy only charged me $60 to do the same so I thought why not. Next time I will definitely invest in a diagnostic tool.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 04 goes inactive when temp drops below -20c. RSW all comms reads the fault "tank pressure dropping while filling". So I guess I have the crappy air tank. I wonder if there is a recall for those **** tanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts