Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had several problems with the air suspension for the last few months, it was working fine until I noticed the car started to get sluggish when cold starting, the next thing the hdc warning would come on then a couple of days later the air suspension inactive would come on, I read on this forum that these air suspension issues can be battery connected so I got the battery checked, it turned out to be very low, I had it charged and the faults cleared, a couple of weeks later the car started struggling to start again after not being used for a day or two. Eventually after repeating the charge and clearing the faults a couple of times I took the car to another garage where the told me the battery was not good enough to power a range rover, I paid for a new battery and all has been fine for 2 weeks, but the temperature has dropped this week and I haven't used the car very much, when I went out in it the out her day it struggled to cold start the hdc inactive came on, but in noticed that when I restarted, it started instantly and the hdc warning didn't appear. What I'm really asking is, is it common to struggle to cold start if it's been left a few days in colder weather? Also is there something that could be draining the battery? And finally I after starting about 30 seconds there is like a tick tick tick noise which sounds like its coming from the back of the car, you can here it inside and outside, this goes after about 10 minutes of driving, is this connected to the air suspension, it seems to work but it's very very slow, the original fault code read, 1116 air suspension static when filling, before it was cleared several times, is this tick tick noise related and do I need to replace the air suspension unit in the boot?

Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Cold is hard on even a good battery, but you could also have something draining it down as it sits. There is an electrical troubleshooting guide on here that may help you, but without even a model year I can't even say what it might end up being.

The ticking could be a few things. If it is coming from the rear fuse box, it would be a relay, and possibly the EAS compressor relay. This could be a sign of the compressor failing. It could also be something completely normal, such as the DMTL pump running its test. Try and locate the source of the noise more then just from the rear.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just repaired the piston ring on the air compressor, everything seems to be working fine now, the tick tick tick noise is still there but I've now found the the noise is coming from under the floor under the rear seats, my friend whose a mechanic and repaired the piston ring reckoned the noise sounded like a relay, we ran out of time to locate it as it got dark, but after we lifted the rear seats the noise was definitely coming from under there.
Any idea what this could be? It stops making the noise after about 5-10 minutes
My car is a 2005 vogue 3.0 diesel

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts