RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On cold starts, there is a nasty fan noise when running my vehicle at about 60KM/ H (40 HPH) - not very luxurious at all. It used to be only on cold starts...but it seems to have extended to all time. Any ideas to correct this?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,771 Posts
well it all depends on which fan is making the noise. Care to give us some actual details since we aren't mind readers? Is it your cabin fans, is it your A/C fans? Is it your radiator fan? We also have no clue what year or model you have.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
L405 SC 2014....the noise seems to be rooted in the engine bay and not within the dashboard. Almost like a ticking and stops when the vehicle stops moving...but is heard constantly through the acceleration curve of say 20 MPH to 40 MPH. I only just now have had my suspension and front differential replaced under warranty so the truck is finally quiet enough up there to make the distinction that it is a fan type noise up there. The service manager at my JLR dealer felt is was the variable drive on a cooling fan??? or some such then and that it will quieten up when it gets warm...but it has been two solid weeks listening to it so asking if anyone on the board has had a similar problem. I have been to the dealer three times in the past month for bearings then differential so hoping to avoid another visit there.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
566 Posts
I had something similar to this and the timing belt had started to shred (I have a L405 SC 2013). It was hitting a part of the block and making noise. Only thing was that the ticking as still present at idle, just very slow.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It appears the problem is a wheel bearing passenger side...coupled with a (slightly) binding caliper. They are repairing today and I get it back Monday - we'll see. It was not the clutch fan with the viscous coupling which they initially thought (phone diagnosis).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Further update...not a wheel bearing as thought but rather a front differential....coupled with the transfer case just changed my truck - WOW...but it runs great now and knock/ clunk free. Ordered a new 18 ATB which arrives in April. 1st vehicle I ever rant to term on a lease and ordered once again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts